Friday, May 9, 2014

SOUR CREAM BANANA CAKE

I mentioned on Monday that I made a Sour Cream Banana Cake for my husband to take to Fort Leavenworth to share at the appreciation gathering the Fort had for the volunteers and a few paid staff in the tax office.  I know my husband enjoyed his experience there and it certainly helped him "get through" the COLD winter temps we had.  


I made the cake Sunday afternoon but didn't cut it because I wanted it to look nicer for the gathering. Even though most of it was eaten, he did bring back the remains so I could try it out. (It still bothers him that I make things I have never made before and take to pot lucks or other places to share. I guess I am either lucky or I can look at the recipe and decide if I think it will taste good. I have only had a couple of "failures to please".)  

I can't tell you how good it taste! I'm glad they didn't eat it all.  I definitely want to enjoy more than one piece of this cake.

The recipe came from Zoe Medlin's War Eagle Mill Whole Grain Cook Book.  When we lived in Fayetteville, AR, (back in the late 70s to mid 80s) we loved to go to War Eagle Mill every year for the War Eagle Mill Craft Fair.  It is still taking place.  I have friends who gather there on the third weekend in October almost like a reunion.  Now that we have moved back (sorta to the neighborhood), it is my dream to go back. During the nine years we lived in Fayetteville, we saw the event grow from just a couple of circus tents to more.  When I saw this thin cookbook at an estate sale, I knew I had to buy it.




SOUR CREAM BANANA CAKE

1-3/4     cups sifted whole wheat flour ( I used white whole wheat flour)
1           teaspoon baking powder
1/2        teaspoon baking soda
3/4        teaspoon salt
1-1/3     cups sugar
1/2        cup chopped pecans 
2           eggs
1           cup sour cream
1           cup mashed bananas
1/4        cup shortening
1           teaspoon vanilla


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease and flour a 9 x 13 - inch pan.

Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add sour cream, eggs, and vanilla; blend thoroughly.

Combine the rest of the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt) and add to creamed mixture.

Stir in bananas and pecans.

Spread batter into pan and bake for 40 minutes.

Cool on wire rack.  


CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

1        8 - oz package of cream cheese, softened (I used 1/3 less fat)
1        1 - lb box powdered sugar
1/4     cup melted butter (1/2 a stick)
1        teaspoon vanilla
additional coarsely chopped nuts

Combine all ingredients except the chopped nuts on low speed with electric mixer.  Blend well, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.


Spread on cooled cake.

I removed the cake from the cake pan to frost it - top and sides. 


Then I sprinkled the coarsely chopped nuts on top of the cake.





No comments:

Post a Comment