Monday, July 14, 2014

SLOW COOKER GREEN BEANS AND RED POTATOES

I made these green beans and potatoes for the Dinner Club gathering the other night.  I had volunteered to work the first shift at Hillcrest Thrift Shop which meant I wouldn't get through until 12:30.  (I ended up not getting away until 1:00 so was glad I had decided to take the green beans.)

Our Dinner Club meets for an hour for the social hour (drinks and appetizers) and then have dinner.  If you are bringing something for the dinner, it is sometimes hard to keep it warm.  I like taking a dish in the slow cooker with the Keep Warm setting whenever I take something other than dessert (which is more often than not).  These green beans with red potatoes are perfect for that situation.




SLOW COOKER GREEN BEANS AND RED POTATOES

2        bags (16 - oz each) frozen green beans
4 or 5 red potatoes, cut into chunks
3        slices bacon
minced garlic
lemon pepper seasoning
water


Pour one bag of beans into slower cooker.

Layer potato chunks on top of beans,

Sprinkle with minced garlic.


Pour second bag of beans on top.

Sprinkle again with minced garlic and lemon pepper seasoning.

Lay three slices of bacon on top.

Fill with water until it comes almost to the top of the beans.


Cover and cook on "High" for about 8 hours.  

Until ready to serve, reduce setting to "Keep Warm".


Stir and bring some of the potatoes to the top to serve.







I have a friend on my Facebook page comment on the amount of cooking time.  I admit, they were probably ready before the 8 hours, but cooking them that long and then having them on the Keep Warm setting for an additional 1-1/2 hours, they were perfect and not overcooked.  I would say that you should cook them at least 6 hours on high.  You might want to start early just in case and then know they will keep warm until ready to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment