Friday, May 22, 2015

PUMPKIN STREUSEL CUSTARD


OMG!  I have found the perfect recipe especially for two people.  If you have visited my blog, you might have noticed I almost always make "breads" in mini loaf pans instead of larger ones because I don't want to be tempted to eat more than I need to eat.  It also allows me variety which I really like.  

When I saw this recipe in my The Best of Country Cooking 2002 cookbook, I knew I had to try it.  It was submitted by Maxine Smith of Owanka, South Dakato.  She said she had worked with her recipe to make just enough for two servings.  It would be easy to double the amounts, but then you would probably have to experiment with the cooking times.

We had planned to spend Thanksgiving at our son's in CO, but our plans got changed.  I didn't want to make a whole pie (too much for just the two of us to eat) but I hated the idea of missing that traditional pumpkin pie.  I have to smile as I type "traditional" because I haven't made a traditional pumpkin pie in years.  In fact, I can't remember the last one I made.  

Why?  My husband isn't real fond of pumpkin pie.  A number of years ago I found a recipe for Honey Pumpkin Pie and I made it. He liked it and so that became "our traditional" pumpkin pie.  A couple of years ago, I found a recipe for TURTLE PUMPKIN PIE. That one is really good and can be made "skinny".

Tonight I made the Pumpkin Streusel Custard and I LOVE IT!  It was a generous serving though and I must admit I only ate half of it. Don't worry, I will enjoy the other half tomorrow.  (Even my husband enjoyed it.  He told me I could make it again.  Yea!  That's a compliment coming from him.)




PUMPKIN STREUSEL CUSTARD

1       egg
1/4    cup packed brown sugar
1/4    teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4    teaspoon salt
1/4    teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8    teaspoon each ground allspice, ginger, and nutmeg
2/3    cup cooked or canned pumpkin
1/2    cup evaporated milk

TOPPING: 
1       tablespoon brown sugar
2       teaspoon flour
1/4    teaspoon ground cinnamon
1       teaspoon cold butter or margarine (I used light margarine)
2       tablespoons chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.  Spray or grease two 8 - or 10 -oz custard cups.


In a mixing bowl, beat the egg.








Add the brown sugar, vanilla, salt and spices.








Stir in pumpkin and milk.



















Pour into the bowls.





















Bake for 20 minutes.


Meanwhile prepare the topping by combining the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl. (I used a fork to combine)





Cut in the margarine until crumbly. (The fork does this well.)







Add the pecans.









Sprinkle over the custard. (The center is soft.)







Bake 15 more minutes longer or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.  (I didn't want to mess up the center of the dish.  The custard was pulling away from the sides so I took it out after the 15 minutes.)


Cool.

Makes 2 generous servings.

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I LOVE pumpkin pie,my husband just 'tolerates' one piece a year. The left over pieces usually get thrown away. This looks like the perfect compromise for us (plus I can make it throughout the year whenever I get in the mood for pumpkin)! ..Thank you again for posting another perfect recipe!
    ......You're not the only one whose plans have changed. :(
    Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra. Hope you enjoyed yourself today. I missed sharing it with my son and his family. I made the custard again this afternoon and we enjoyed it for dinner. I'm really glad I found the recipe.

      Delete