Thursday, May 7, 2015

FRESH STRAWBERRY MUFFINS

My friend Sharon posted a picture/recipe on Facebook recently for these Fresh Strawberry Muffins. She thought she would give them a try. I didn't have to look long at the picture and recipe to decide I wanted to give them a try also. It had been originally posted by Home of my Heart.  

I needed something quick to make to take to Hillcrest on Thursday (I don't work on Thursdays but I sorta told them on Tuesday when I did work that if I could work it in, I would bring something down to them at lunch.) The first people I saw was Jerry, Sharon's husband, and Dana. I told Jerry he would have to bring Sharon down at lunch so she could taste them. He immediately went in with me to put two aside for them. Dana yelled at him and told him to save one for her, too. Vali followed us in from a different way to make sure she got one. I couldn't stay but I hope there were a couple left for the other volunteers. 

I really wanted to play around with the recipe, but since my time was limited that morning, I just followed the recipe. When I make them the next time, I will use truvia baking blend and cut the amount of sugar in half. I also want to use 1/2 cup of whole wheat pastry flour for part of the flower. I will let you know how they turn out. The original recipe is definitely a winner.



FRESH STRAWBERRY MUFFINS

1/2        cup butter, softened
3/4       cup sugar
1           large egg
2          cups flour
2          teaspoons baking powder
1/2       teaspoon salt
1/2       cup milk (I did use skim milk)
1/2       teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2    cups chopped strawberries
3          teaspoons sugar
1/2       teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 12- cup muffin tin.

Cream the butter and sugar til light.

Add the egg and beat well.

Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt.

Add the flour mixture alternately to the creamed mixture with the milk beginning and ending with the flour. (I do this by adding approximately 1/3 of the flour and then half the liquid, 1/3 of flour, rest of liquid, and then the rest of the flour. Measurements aren't precise.) Mix well after each addition.


Add the vanilla and mix well. I did use the electric mixer to mix these I just used the rubber spatula to gather up the batter on the sides of the bowl.


Fold in the strawberries gently 


but make sure they are mixed in completely.


Fill muffin cups full.


Combine the 3 teaspoons of sugar with the cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle over the top of each muffin.


Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. (20 minutes was perfect in my oven.)


Remove and cool for 10 minutes on wire rack.



Remove (may need a knife to help loosen the muffins from the edge of the cup) and finish cooling on wire rack.



They tasted just as delicious as they look in the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment