Tuesday, September 29, 2015

COUNTRY COLESLAW

Yesterday I shared with you a super simple, but oh-so-good slow cooker BBQ shredded chicken recipe. I made it after enjoying the one Dil Sara made when we visited the family in CO. 

The day before we spent a full day at Miller Farm in northern CO picking veggies. I decided to pick a cabbage and make some coleslaw the next day to go with our BBQ sandwiches I saw on Sara's menu board. We also picked up and also pulled up some carrots.

My mother was the family member who always made the coleslaw when her family got together, which was often. I never really paid that much attention to exactly what and how much she put with it. Truth be known, she probably didn't measure anything. Just a little of this and a little of that. Her main thing was chopping the cabbage up finely. If she was using the bagged cabbage that is already shredded, she would chop it up finer.

When my son Jeffrey told me I could make the coleslaw, he gave me a hard time because I didn't know "exactly" what to add. I ended up searching and found a recipe online from Mr. Food which inspired me. 

Well, it was a big hit with especially the grandkids at dinner. My son said it was okay, but he would have added a little more sugar. Everyone else thought it was perfect, but if you make it and taste test it and want to add a little more sugar....do it.



COUNTRY COLESLAW

4        cups shredded cabbage
1/2     cup grated carrots
1/2     cup mayonnaise (I used Mayo with olive oil, Reduced fat mayonnaise)
1-1/2  tablespoons lemon juice
1         tablespoon sugar
1/2     teaspoon salt

Shred the cabbage and grate the carrots.


Combine the mayo, lemon juice, sugar, and salt in a small bowl.


Combine the cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. Toss to evenly distribute the carrots with the cabbage.


Add the mayo mixture and stir until evenly coated.



Store in refrigerator until ready to serve. Retoss with a fork before serving.




If you are making for a large family (which I was in CO), double the amount of the ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment