Tuesday, July 30, 2013

GARLIC CHEESE DROP BISCUITS

I love the garlic cheese biscuits at Ruby Tuesday. They bring you a plate of four to enjoy while you are waiting for your dinner. They are fresh out of the oven and are oh so good.

The other day I was looking through a cookbook, The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook that I got at Hillcrest Thrift Shop. I found several recipes that sounded like something I would enjoy. Instead of marking their spots with pieces of paper, I just decided to write the titles with the page number on a card with the title of the cookbook at the top. I filled up one side and half the back with titles.

Last night I decided to make one of them....Hot Cheese Drop Biscuits. The recipe called for ground red pepper.  The problem is I can't take hot stuff. If my husband tries something and says it has just a little "kick", I know it will be too hot for me.  

But I was intrigued by the recipe and immediately thought about the garlic cheese biscuits I love at Ruby Tuesday's. I decided the recipe would probably work with garlic instead of the red pepper.

Well, I made them and by the time I had left the table I had eaten 3 of them  I substituted the same amount of garlic powder for the ground red pepper, but I think it could use more garlic. There was only a hint of garlic with 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder. You might want to experiment and see how much you think is good.

My husband took a bite of one (before I got a chance to) and said he thought I would be wanting to make them again.  You know what....he is so right.




GARLIC CHEESE DROP BISCUITS


2          cups soft wheat pastry flour or all - purpose flour
2          teaspoons baking powder
1/2       teaspoon salt
3/4 - 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1           cup (4 - ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1/4       cup shortening
1           cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.  Grease a large cookie sheet

Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and garlic powder in a large bowl. Sift the ingredients together once.

Cut in the cheese and shortening with a pastry cutter until mixture is crumbly.  (I use my fingers.)



Add the buttermilk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.





Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto the greased cookie sheet.






Bake for 9 - 11 minutes or until golden.








2 comments:

  1. I have to try these. I love garlic cheese biscuits and I am still looking for the perfect recipe.
    This looks close! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Play with the amount of garlic for your taste, Sandra. I was really pleased with them. Last night I warmed us up some by placing them on a metal pie plate and put them in the oven just before it reached 350 degrees F (I was anxious to eat them.) and left them a couple of minutes after it reached the temp. They were almost nice and crunchy, just like I like them. Hope you like the recipe.

      Delete