Friday, July 5, 2013

SOCK-IT-TO-ME-CAKE

As I was saying in yesterday's post, the turtle bars weren't wanting to cut too easily because the caramel topping "burned" by the edges of the pan. So I decided I needed to make another dessert real quickly to take to the 4th of July party.  

The short time was my biggest problem. Several ideas flashed thru my mind, but I decided to make something with a cake mix (since I have several in my  pantry) and maybe canned pie filling.  

I came back upstairs and started looking for a recipe I knew I had. The problem is I have so many recipes and I could picture what it looked like on the "card" but I couldn't find it.  

What I did find was this recipe for Sock-It-To-Me-Cake. I recognized immediately from the card that it was written on that it was an early recipe that I had on my first recipe "holder". It was like a small music stand and the recipes were on plain cards with two holes at the top for the rings to go through that held the cards to the flat part of the stand. All you had to do was turn the cards over til the one you wanted to cook was on top, and then you could read it while you prepared the recipe....just like if it were music on a music stand.

That means I have had the recipe since the 70s. The name of the cake reminds me of the television show that everyone watched called "Laugh-In". I think Golden Hawn was the one that started saying "Sock it to me", but then it became the "thing" to say on the show. I don't know, but I bet the title of this recipe came from that saying.

I had to make some substitutions because my time was short and had to use what I had on hand. The original recipe called for a butter recipe golden cake mix. I used my Pillsbury sugar-free yellow cake mix instead. It also called for dairy sour cream. I used my Dannon Light & Fit Vanilla yogurt. The only other substitution I used was 1/4 cup of stevia for the 1/4 cup of sugar. 

It has been a LONG time since I made it and so I don't remember how it tasted with the original recipe, but, let me tell you, with my substitutions, the cake is fabulous. It is so moist. 

AND it is almost sugar free! There are 13 grams of sugar in the yogurt and however many grams of sugar there are in 2 tablespoons of brown sugar in the filling and that is the only sugar in the WHOLE cake.

It is also pretty with the vein of cinnamon nut sugar in it.  

As usual you don't have to use the sugar free cake mix and stevia and you can use sour cream in place of the yogurt. I am going to write the recipe the way I made it since it turned out so well.




SOCK-IT-TO-ME-CAKE

Cake:

1       package Pillsbury Sugar-Free Cake Mix
1       cup (8 - oz) Light & Fit Vanilla Yogurt
1/2    cup canola oil
1/4    cup water
1/4    cup stevia
4       eggs

Filling:

1      cup chopped pecans
2      tablespoons brown sugar
2      tablespoons cinnamon

Glaze:

1     cup confectioners sugar
2     tablespoons milk

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  Grease and flour a 10 - inch tube pan.


Blend the cake ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.  Then beat at high speed for 2 minutes.






Combine the filling ingredients in a small bowl.


Pour about 2/3 rds of the batter into the prepared tube pan and sprinkle the filling...

evenly over the batter in the pan.





Then spread the remaining batter in the pan evenly over the filling.







Bake the cake for 45 - 55 minutes or til done.  


Cool for 25 minutes in the pan on a wire rack.


Make the glaze stirring the mixture til smooth.


Remove the cake from the pan 










and drizzle the glaze over the top.











No comments:

Post a Comment