Tuesday, July 2, 2013

THE BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES YOU'LL EVER EAT!

That's not my name for them....although it probably would be. That's the name of the cookies contributed by Jeri Drake-Lane from Canyon Springs High School in Moreno Valley, CA.

I found the recipe in a cookbook called Party Foods -- Appetizers - Dips - Salads - Desserts. It is a collection of recipes presented by Home Economics Teachers in CA.

I bought the book from a high school student when we were living in CA as a fund raiser. It actually has a number of interesting recipes I plan to try.

This recipe said it made 2 dozen cookies. She used a cookie scoop which is what I use, but I made almost 4 dozen cookies. I also experimented with  the "baking sheet" and had some interesting results which I will share with you below. Normally I make substitutions but when I made them this morning, I made them by the recipe.




THE BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES YOU'LL EVER EAT!


1/3     cup Crisco, not butter flavor
1/3     cup butter (I did use margarine)
1/2     cup sugar
1/2     cup brown sugar
1         egg
1         teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2  cups flour (I used soft wheat)
1/2     teaspoon baking soda
1/2     teaspoon salt
1/2     cup nuts, chopped - optional (I used pecans)
1-1/2  cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Blend the first 6 ingredients (Crisco, butter, sugar. brown sugar, egg, and vanilla) til smooth.






Add flour, baking soda, and salt (I blended mine with a whisk in a small bowl first. I also sifted the baking soda since my baking soda always seems to have some hard chunks in it.) and blend well.



Add the chips and chopped nuts.



Drop with a cookie scoop 2 inches apart on to baking sheet...12 on a large cookie sheet. 






Bake for 10 minutes.




This is where my experimenting needs to be explained....

Jeri didn't say if the cooking sheet should be greased or not. She also said to not remove the cookies from the sheet until cooled.

The first pan I baked using parchment paper and left them for 10 minutes to cool and that worked out fine. 






For the second pan, I used my Pampered Chef Stoneware Cookie Sheet. They made the best looking cookie...I did cook them for 12 minutes though.










For the third pan I used my other non-stick cookie sheet without the parchment paper, and ungreased. That didn't work out too well. Why????? After letting them cool for 10 minute, they were stuck to the sheet. (See tip below)
The last time I used the stoneware baking sheet again. It definitely made the prettiest cookie.










Conclusions: If you have a stoneware baking sheet, use it but you may have to bake the cookies for 12 minutes. If you don't, use parchment paper on your cookie sheet.

Tip!  If cookies stick to the cookie sheet....

If when baking cookies, if the cookies stick to the cookie sheet, place the sheet in a cold oven, and heat it while the oven is preheating....a few minutes. The preheating oven will heat the cookies enough without burning them so you can remove them. 

Tip!  Best way to chop nuts for baking....


I have two of these (one was my mothers) and see them in so many estate sales. One time I bought one at a sale for my friend Sandy who asked me to get her one the next time I see them. The cup top holds 1/2 cup of nuts when filled to the top. You fill the cup and turn the handle....one way chops finer than the other way. I always use it when a recipe calls for chopped nuts. You get the taste of nuts in every bite.

1 comment:

  1. I've been wondering about the stoneware cookie sheets. When I told me husband the name of the recipe he asked if I was making them,so I guess I will! Parchment paper on a regular cookie sheet for me! Thank you again for the recipes!

    ReplyDelete