Saturday, July 13, 2013

LOW-CAL TUNA MELT

I get so tired of eating the same thing for lunch most days....a peanut butter and jam sandwich....even if I am enjoying my homemade jam.

Yesterday I decided I wanted something different. My husband was grilling a filet of salmon on the grill for his lunch. I decided I would make myself a tuna sandwich. I didn't want to take the time to boil an egg like I usually do when I make tuna salad. After all some people just use the canned tuna, some pickle relish, and mayo or salad dressing. So that is what I decided I would do.

Then I remembered! (It's kinda nice knowing your memory hasn't completely gone.....some times it feels that way...when I have what I call "Senior Moment". )  

What did I remember? you ask. Well, maybe you didn't, but I'm writing this and that's what you asked. 

Anyway, I remembered when I was younger and was trying to lose weight that I made a tuna sandwich that was less calories since it doesn't contain any salad dressing/mayo.  So I decided to make that....I had all the ingredients....slice of bread, low fat margarine, lemon juice, paprika, tuna, and cheese. I didn't have the slice of cheese like I used to use, but I had some shredded part skim mozzarella cheese.

I used to make it in my toaster oven, but I didn't want to get it out. I just decided to use the oven.

I am so glad the memory came to me because it was so good.  And not just because it wasn't a peanut butter and jam sandwich.  

I'm calling it my....




LOW-CAL TUNA MELT

1     slice of your favorite bread (I use whole wheat)
1     slab of light margarine (or enough to spread a little on each side)
1/2 can of tuna in water, drained (2 to 2-1/2 oz)
lemon juice 
paprika
cheese (reduced fat or fat free)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.  Using a cookie sheet or pie plate.....


Spread a little margarine on each side of the bread.









Spread half the can of tuna evenly over the margarine on one side of the bread.







Sprinkle a little lemon juice over the tuna.










Sprinkle a little paprika over the top.










Lay a slice of your favorite cheese (fat free if you are trying to keep it low-cal) or cover with shredded cheese.








Place in oven for 5 - 8 minutes til cheese melts and tuna has heated thru.


Remove from oven and enjoy! The lemon juice adds a nice flavor to the tuna.


No comments:

Post a Comment