Tuesday, July 23, 2013

WESTWOOD COOKS' SUGAR COOKIES

In the late 70s and early 80s I taught school at Westwood Elementary School. The teachers didn't have a separate dining room but had to eat at the tables with the students.  Most of the time I took my lunch, but whenever the cooks made these sugar cookies, I always managed to get one.  

One day I finally asked them for the recipe. They were more than willing to do so. The recipe I am sharing only makes about 4 dozen cookies. I halved it from my original recipe from the cooks. If you want more cookies, just double the recipe.

I think of them as "Melt - in - your - Mouth Sugar Cookies" because that is what they do. You don't need to chew them at all.

I also like that you don't have to roll them out and cut with cookie cutters. You flatten them with a fork, but the dough is soft enough that the cookies end up flat and don't look like peanut butter cookies.





WESTWOOD COOKS' SUGAR COOKIES


1/2     cup sugar ( I used 1/4 cup truvia baking blend.)
1/2     cup margarine (1 stick), room temperature or slightly softened
1/2     cup powdered sugar
1         egg
1/2     teaspoon salt
1/2     teaspoon baking soda
1/2     teaspoon cream of tartar
2        cups + 1 tablespoon flour
1/2     teaspoon vanilla
1/2     cup canola oil

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease cookie sheets.

Cream sugars and margarine til smooth.







Add the egg, and beat til smooth. Scraping sides of bowl as necessary.









In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients - salt, baking soda, cream of tartar and flour.

Add the dry ingredients and mix on low til smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl as necessary.




Add the vanilla and beat til smooth.








Add the oil last. Combine on low til thoroughly combined.







Using a 1 - inch scoop, space the cookies about 2 inches apart. (My large cookie sheets holds 12 this way.) Lightly flatten with a fork. (Cookies will bake smooth.)



Bake for 10 minutes - 12 minutes. Edges will be brown. Leave the cookies on the cookie sheet 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to finish cooling.





No comments:

Post a Comment