Saturday, April 13, 2013

ONE-POT GARDEN CHICKEN & NOODLES

I wanted to make something for dinner that would be easy, that included chicken and everything else I would eat -- an all in one meal.  When I saw this recipe on the back of the Ronzoni Healthy Harvest Whole Grain wide noodle style noodles, I decided to give it a try.

I have cut out recipes over the last several years for dishes similar to this, but I didn't want to take the time to hunt for them....I have way too many recipes and cookbooks.....I know.  Anyway, this was just way too easy.

I had all of the ingredients except the pimiento .. so I just omitted it this time.  I will include it in the recipe.  I did use frozen mixed vegetables for the frozen peas and carrots.  I picked out the frozen green beans since the amount I had in the bag equaled more than 2 cups.  I'll just cook them another time....like when I make a pot of soup.  They'll work out fine in it.

If you are looking for a one-pot dinner, then you should give this one a try.  It also warms up nicely for leftovers as it made more than my husband and I could eat in one meal.


Make sure you check out my Tip for the Day below the recipe.  I hate to think how many tops I have thrown away when I used up all of the Parmesan cheese.  Never again.






ONE-POT GARDEN CHICKEN & NOODLES

2     tablespoons butter or margarine
3/4  lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4 - inch pieces (I used 4 chicken tenders that I cut into bite-size pieces)
1/3  cup finely chopped onion
2     cups chicken broth
2     cups (10 - oz pkg) frozen peas and carrots (I used frozen mixed vegetables.)
1/2  pkg (6 - oz) Ronzoni Healthy Harvest wide noodle style, uncooked (I used 4 cups of the noodles)
1     can (10 - 3/4 oz) condensed cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup (I used the cream of chicken soup)
3/4  cup skim milk
3/4  cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1     jar (4 - oz) chopped pimiento, drained (optional)


In a heavy 5 - quart saucepan (I used my dutch oven) over medium heat, melt the butter.  








Add the chicken and onion.  











Cook 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.










Add the chicken broth; heat to boiling.
Stir in uncooked pasta and vegetables, stirring to coat evenly with liquid.







Heat to boiling, reduce heat.  Cover; simmer on medium heat 8 minutes, or until most liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.










Meanwhile in a medium bowl, stir together the soup, milk, 1/2 cup cheese and pimiento until smooth.

Stir into pasta mixture.


Simmer until heated through.

Serve sprinkled with remaining cheese.







Serves 6.

TIP OF THE DAY!


Did you know that the top of the grated Parmesan Cheese jar will fit a pint size "canning" jar?  











With this lid on the jar, you can shake the contents from one side or open the other side and pour or spoon out the contents.


I had a Mason Star Jar and I decided to fill it with my sugar & stevia blend.










Perfect now.  The bag didn't want to stay closed so this works out great!








Just in case I forget what is in it OR someone else comes in my kitchen and sees it, I put some scotch tape on the back side (I usually do this on the front but I didn't want to mess up the pretty side with the star) and then labeled it with a permanent marker.

No comments:

Post a Comment