Saturday, March 16, 2013

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY

Since I am staying "unplugged" on Sundays during Lent this year, I am wishing everyone a Happy St. Patrick's Day a day early.  I wanted to share with you a "green" cake I love to make that is perfect for a special gathering tomorrow (or actually anytime).  You can also make my mother lemon jello cake that I call my Holiday Cake using lime Jell-O that I shared HERE.  Either one is a great choice.  

I first made this cake last year when I saw it on Pinterest.  I changed the original recipe that I saw to make it  more healthy (?), less sugar, less fat.  I think the word everyone is using nowadays is skinny.  

Whatever you want to call it, this cake is really good and great for St. Patrick's Day.  As with all of my recipes I make, if you aren't concerned about calories (lucky you), you can still follow my recipe, just use regular ingredients.  The 1/2 cup of applesauce took the place of 1/2 cup of oil.




"SKINNY" PISTACHIO CHOCOLATE CHIP BUNDT CAKE


1     box sugar-free yellow cake mix
1     box Jell-o sugar-free, fat-free instant pistachio pudding mix
8    ounces fat-free sour cream
4    eggs (2  eggs + 1/2 cup liquid eggs)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup warm water
2     tablespoons almond extract
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray a 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray.

Mix all ingredients except the chocolate chips on low with electric mixer til all ingredients are moistened.

Beat on medium speed an additional minute.

Stir in chocolate chips by hand.

Evenly spread the batter in the Bundt pan.








Bake 50 minutes.  Check doneness with a toothpick.  Cool in pan for 10 minutes.








Remove from pan and continue cooling on wire rack.








Can sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar before serving.












193 calories/ 1/12 serving; 3 g saturated fat and 6 g of sugar (part of this sugar content is the natural sugar in the applesauce)

I figured these calories thinking I would cut the cake into 12 servings.  When I actually did cut the cake, I realized I would have more than 12 servings.  So that means my serving size is less than 193 calories.  Yea!!!!


Look at all of those mini chocolate chips.


Enjoy! OH! and Happy St. Patrick's Day.

1 comment:

  1. Get the coffee on-this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete