Wednesday, November 23, 2022

WHOLE WHEAT PUMPKIN MUFFINS

 I can't tell you how hard I have searched for this recipe! I really don't want to think about it, personally. Then today I sat down to write up another recipe I have been putting off and picked up the Pillsbury Healthy Baking cookbook to see if I had any recipes in it that I hadn't posted (I've gotten behind and am determined to get caught up and then not get in this pickle again!) and opened to this recipe for Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffins. I read the ingredients and thought, "this sounds like the ingredients I had pictured for the lost pumpkin muffin recipe that I loved so much."

I rechecked the pictures and sure enough I had found the recipe. To be honest I'm more excited about being able to make the muffins again than I am sharing them with you. I have so many awesome healthy recipes that don't attract attention and get much traffic. It can be really disappointing at times!

I did make them almost sugar-free which is always an added plus for my healthy recipes. The recipe called for dried currants and I used raisins so that is the sugar in them. I used truvia complete brown sugar for the brown sugar and that is stevia with a hint of molasses. Not enough for them to list any added sugar.

PRINT RECIPE



WHOLE WHEAT PUMPKIN MUFFINS

1-1/2   cups whole wheat flour

1/2      cup firmly packed brown sugar (or truvia complete brown sugar)

2         teaspoons baking powder

1         teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

1/2      teaspoon salt

1         egg

1/2      cup skim or 2% milk (I used skim milk)

1/2      cup canned pumpkin

1/4      cup oil

1/2      teaspoon grated orange peel (I used dried grated orange peel)

1/2     cup dried currants (I used raisins)

GLAZE (I didn't use)

1/4     cup powdered sugar

1 - 1-1/2 teaspoons orange juice


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.


In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt with a whisk.

Make a well in the center. Set aside.


In a small bowl, beat egg until foamy.

Add the milk, pumpkin, oil, and orange peel.

Mix well. 



Add to the dry mixture stirring just until most dry ingredients are moistened. 



Stir in currants or raisins. 






Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.*

Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean from the center.

Immediately remove from pan to wire rack. 









If you are adding the glaze, combine the powdered sugar and enough orange juice to make a glaze the consistency you want. Drizzle over warm muffins.


*I didn't add the glaze but instead lightly sprinkled a cinnamon-sugar mixture I keep using stevia for the sugar on top of each muffin before baking them. I could have sprinkled more on them.











These muffins freeze really well. Allow to thaw in the refrigerator or use the microwave. You could also make mini-muffins if you wanted more from the recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment