Tuesday, November 8, 2022

PEACH CRUNCH, an AMISH RECIPE

 Does it feel like time is flying to you? It surely does to me. I can't believe it is already November. Turkey Day will be here in a couple of weeks and stores are already displaying Christmas things. 

Last week was also my week to hostess canasta again which means I had to find something to serve for dessert. I started thinking about it several days before but finally settled on this Peach Crunch recipe. Carol Detweiler, a waitress at Das Dutchman Essenhaus shared the recipe in Volume III Amish-Country Cookbook. I hope to get to Middlebury, Indiana to experience their Amish businesses.

I love peaches in just about everything, but I must say this is one of my new favorites because I love juicy peach cobblers/crisps/crunches. I grew up eating juicy cobblers that my mother made but it is almost impossible to find juicy ones today. They are more dry. My husband is just the opposite. His mother always made dry cobblers so he prefers them that way. He did say that he really liked the taste of this one. I told him that I might not use all of the juice with the peaches next time for him.

The recipe called for a quart can of sliced peaches. I had two jars (24 ounces each) in extra-light syrup that I used. I know that was more than a quart but I wanted lots of peaches. I also used a 2 - quart casserole dish (8" x 11") instead of the 9" x 13" pan the recipe called for for the very same reason. It worked out fine. That made the dry cake mix thicker on top as I sprinkled it on, but it wasn't too much. I just didn't use as much of the nuts and candy on top. The grocery store didn't have Bits O' Brickle so my husband bought three Heath Toffee bars and I used just one of them (4 ounces).

PRINT recipe only.



PEACH CRUNCH

1     quart can sliced peaches with light syrup

1     package yellow cake mix (dry) (I used a sugar-free one )

1     stick of margarine or butter (I used unsalted butter)

1     (6-oz) package Bits O' Brickle or English Toffee

1     cup or less chopped pecans, optional (I did use)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9 x 13 - inch pan or 2-quart casserole, 8 - 11 inches, with non-stick cooking spray.


Pour peaches, with juice in the baking dish.

Sprinkle dry cake mix on top, evenly.

Drizzle melted butter on top of the cake mix or spread thin slices of a cold stick of butter over top. (I always do the latter.)

Sprinkle Bits O' Brickle on top and

then nuts, if desired. (

I used one 4-oz Heath EnglishToffee Bar

that I crushed with my handy-dandy tool.
)


Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until cake is golden brown. Since I used the smaller baking dish, I baked mine 45 minutes.

Serve warm with ice cream.  (If you like less liquid, just don't pour all of the syrup from the can.)

No comments:

Post a Comment