Saturday, November 29, 2014

BUTTERSCOTCH PUMPKIN CAKE

I cut this recipe from Nestle back in 1999 and put it in my spiral notebook to try someday.  Someday finally came  12 years later. I don't remember why, but according to my notes, I made it 3 times within a week and a half. 

When Hope Circle, the United Methodist Women's unit, at our church had to host the district meeting, I suggested this cake for dessert. We made four of them at the church for the luncheon. 

When I needed something to bake for Hillcrest Thrift Shop on Tuesday, I wanted to make something using pumpkin. As soon as I saw the recipe in my notebook, I knew it was the one to make this time. Since I am always trying to cut calories especially from sugar, I decided to use all stevia for the sugar. I know when I cook with stevia, the result is never as sweet tasting as it would be if I had used the sugar.  But this time I thought it was worth a try since there would be the sweetness from the melted butterscotch chips.  

I wasn't disappointed. I personally thought it was just perfect. Everyone at the thrift shop is always so complimentary so I asked them to tell me honestly if they thought it tasted good.  They agreed with me. I'm always glad when I find a recipe that the substitution works so well.



BUTTERSCOTCH PUMPKIN CAKE

1         cup butterscotch chips
2        cups all-purpose flour
1-3/4 cups stevia or sugar
1         tablespoon baking powder
1-1/2  teaspoons ground cinnamon
1         teaspoon salt
1/2     teaspoon ground nutmeg
1         cup pure pumpkin (canned)
1/2     cup canola oil
3        large eggs
1         teaspoon vanilla extract
powdered sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray or grease a 12 - cup bundt pan.


Microwave the chips in a microwave-safe bowl on high for 15 seconds. Stir. Repeat this process until chips are almost melted. Continue to stir until completely melted and smooth. Cool.

Combine the flour, stevia (sugar), baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg in a medium bowl with a whisk.


Stir together the pumpkin, oil, eggs, vanilla in a large bowl with a whisk.


Add the melted butterscotch and stir completely with the whisk.


Add the flour mixture  and stir with a wooden spoon.


Spoon batter into pan. 


Bake for 40 - 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of the cake.

Cool in pan on wire rack for 30 minutes.


Remove to wire rack to cool completely.







Sprinkle with powdered sugar. 








This is how I made the leaf pattern....


I placed a fake leaf on the cake...



I sifted a little powdered sugar over the leaf...



Lift the leaf....



Continue three more times being careful not to sift any sugar over the other "leaves".



Serve....





No comments:

Post a Comment