Monday, August 29, 2022

BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS (SF & WHOLE GRAIN)

 

It is hard for me to believe August is almost over and this time next week will be September. School has started so that says September to me even though school started the third week of August. The temperatures are gradually changing so our highs are maybe 90 but not a whole lot higher and our lows might get down in the mid 60s. The mornings are especially welcoming when the temps are that low.

For probably the last 20 years I have tried to be a more healthy baker and eater. If you follow me or at least checked out a recipe occasionally, hopefully you noticed if I made the dish (I do share recipes from my friends who make desserts with lots of calories and ever once in a while I might also.) I do some substitutions to make it more healthy and definitely less sugar calories.

About twenty years ago Wayne and I found ourselves wanting to lose some extra pounds and decided to try the Sugar Busters Lifestyle. We stayed true to it with an occasional "cheat" with a dessert. He lost more weight than I did (but he says he needed to lose from weight than I did) but I lost 12 lbs. I was a little concerned because that was two more pounds than I wanted to lose. A friend said when my body got to the weight it needed to be, I would stop losing. Right or wrong, I did gain the two pounds even though I wasn't trying to and I stayed at my desired weight for probably ten years. 

What happened? More cheats and more calories. 

A couple of days ago I decided I was going to try it again. I am hopeful that I can once again be successful at getting to my desired weight which is more than it was twenty years ago but a start. It is ten pounds again and I will keep you posted on my success.

For these muffins I substituted whole wheat flour for the all-purpose flour that is enriched, used stevia for the sugar, and no-sugar-added chocolate chips for semi-sweet. Another "biggie" is portion size. I made mini-muffins instead of regular size muffins. Of course you can use all-purpose flour, sugar, and semi-sweet chocolate chips if you prefer.

This recipe is from the Heartstone Inn, a Bed and Breakfast in Eureka Springs, Arkansas.

PRINT RECIPE




BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS

1-1/2   cups sifted flour (I used whole wheat flour)

2         teaspoons baking powder

1/4      teaspoon soda

1         cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 bananas)

1         egg, beaten

1/3      cup oil

3/4      teaspoon salt

1/2      cup sugar (I used stevia)

1         cup chocolate chips (I used no sugar added chocolate chips)


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray muffin tin for 12 regular muffins or 24 mini-muffins. Set aside.

(After spraying the pan, take a folded paper towel and wipe off the top of the pan.)


Sift flour, baking powder, and soda into a large bowl.

(After sifting I stirred the mixture to distribute the flour that fell through the sifter when I put it in the sifter.)

Mash the bananas and mix them with the beaten egg, oil, salt, and sugar/stevia together in a medium size bowl.


Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and mix

just until ingredients are moistened.

Fold in the chocolate chips. 


Fill cups 2/3 to 3/4 full.

I made 24 mini-muffins and used my 1-1/2 tablespoon cookie scoop which worked out perfectly.


Bake 15 to 18 minutes for mini muffins or 25 to 30 minutes for 12 regular muffins.


Cool pan on a wire rack for about a minute.

Then using a small knife like a butter knife, remove the muffins to finish cooling on wire rack.








I hope your August ends on a high note and your September is even better.


No comments:

Post a Comment