Wednesday, September 7, 2022

NO-SUGAR-ADDED RAISIN BARS (DIABETIC)

 Each month our church has a Meet & Treat for the pastors and  I make something that is sugar-free for one of the treats. They met last night and so yesterday morning I made this recipe I found in my Wanda E. Brunstetter's Amish Friends Cookbook shared by Ellen Schwartz from Stanwood, MI. Ellen entitled it Diabetic Sugar-Free Raisin Bars but I changed the name to No-Sugar-Added since the recipe does contain natural sugar from the raisin and from the unsweetened applesauce that is one of the ingredients.

I had planned to make cookies but the batter was too thin for me to do that so I just went on and made the bars. I cut them small and cut 16 bars. Wayne and I each ate one so I took 14 bars to the church. He probably would like me to make some more for him. We will see. It is a pleasantly surprising cake-like bar full of raisins. 

PRINT just the recipe.



NO-SUGAR-ADDED RAISIN BARS

1     cup raisins

1/2  cup water

1/2  cup margarine (I used 1 stick of butter)

1     teaspoon cinnamon

1/4  teaspoon nutmeg

1     egg

3/4  cup unsweetened applesauce

1/4  teaspoon vanilla

1     cup flour

1     tablespoon sugar substitute (I used stevia)

1     teaspoon baking soda


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray an 8 - inch square pan. Set aside.


In a saucepan on medium heat, cook the raisins, water, margarine, cinnamon, and nutmeg until margarine is melted.


Continue cooking for 3 minutes. 


Slightly beat the egg in a medium size bowl.

Add the applesauce and vanilla and

mix well. 


Add a little bit of the cooling raisin mixture to the egg mixture and stir it to combine. 
Then add the rest of the raisin mixture. 


Combine the flour, sugar substitute, and baking soda in another small bowl.

Add the flour mixture to the rest of the ingredients and

stir. 


Spread/pour the mixture into the baking dish and

bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. (I removed mine after 25 minutes.


Cool on wire rack. 


Cut into bars to serve.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment