Monday, August 15, 2022

STRAWBERRYCHICKEN SALAD

 I love sharing recipes with you. Most people you read my blog consider it a recipe or food blog even though I started it for more of a tutorial blog for quilting/sewing/crafts projects. If I were to collect the posts into categories (which by the way, if you view the web version of my blog would could see the index by "Labels" or categories), I do have more recipes than I do tutorials for projects. Tutorials take several hours to write, but I do feel good after I have written them.

AND most of my recipes lean more toward desserts than anything else, but everyone or at least most people like and want a little sweetness in their life. I say "a little" because I do try to reduce the sugar in many of my recipes but not the sweetness.

Saying this, I always enjoy sharing a recipe that isn't a "dessert" and that is what this recipe is. It all started with my cooking a frozen chicken breast in my slow cooker earlier last week to use in something that called for cooked chicken that we might enjoy for a meal. That day I threw together a chicken salad with half of the "pulled" chicken with things I had in my refrigerator. 

Move forward two days and Friend Janice and I were out going to estate sales and enjoying lunch out. We went to an estate sale for a Berry Farm in a nearby town. The house was what I would call an old farmhouse and most of the things were beautiful but I didn't have room or a need for anymore. As we were leaving, Janice stopped at a small bookcase in the kitchen of cookbooks. I told her I hadn't even looked at the cookbooks at the two previous sales we had been to as I proceeded to pick up one that looked interesting. I settled on a smaller one called Berry Lovers Cookbook. The "o" in Lovers was a drawing of a strawberry. It contains recipes using Blueberries, Blackberries, Cranberries, Raspberries, Strawberries, and other Berry Recipes. I actually found more interesting recipes in the cranberry section that I will be making and sharing soon, but this recipe in the strawberry section was the first one I tried.

Saturday I decided to use the rest of the shredded/pulled chicken making another chicken salad. I have never had a chicken salad using strawberries and admit it was different, but we really enjoyed it. I didn't have all of the ingredients (lime peel and chutney) and a few ingredients I omitted on purpose (curry powder and red onion) because they aren't my favorite, but you probably do the same thing when you make a recipe. I will share the original recipe since I referenced the cookbook, but indicate my changes. Would love to hear from you if you decide to follow the original recipe in the comment section below. I also cut the recipe in half since I only had a cup of cooked chicken. One other personal note: As I said I cut the recipe in half which meant 1/2 teaspoon of salt. This was too much salt for our taste since we don't eat our food with a lot of salt. Since I didn't use the chutney either, I did sprinkle a package of stevia over the salad to help combat the salt taste.

A printable copy of the RECIPE



STRAWBERRY CHICKEN SALAD

1/2       cup mayo or salad dressing

2          tablespoons chopped chutney*

1          teaspoon grated lime peel** 

1          teaspoon salt

1          teaspoon curry powder*

1          tablespoon lime juice**

2          cups diced cooked chicken

1          cup sliced celery

1/4       cup chopped red onion*

1-1/2    pints (2 cups sliced) fresh strawberries

lettuce leaves


In a large bowl, combine the mayo, chutney, lime peel, salt, curry powder, and lime juice.


Add chicken,

celery, and onion.

Toss, cover, and chill. (I omitted this as I was making it for us to eat then.)


Just before serving, slice enough strawberries to make 2 cups; gently toss with chicken mixture.

 


Line platter or individual serving plates with lettuce. Mound chicken salad in center. Garnish with remaining 1 cup whole strawberries. (Since I was making this for our lunch, I omitted the last step, but admit it would be impressive if serving friends for a luncheon.

*omitted

**I substituted lemon peel and lemon juice

I also made a sandwich for us which we shared.



The remaining I ate later as a salad with wheat thins. Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment