Thursday, August 4, 2022

OUT-OF-THIS-WORLD PECAN WAFFLES

 

Can you believe it is already August? I don't know about you, but July went really quickly to be a month with 31 days. I saw this morning a friend's post from Atlanta of her children's first day back in school. If our older son Jeffrey were still teaching high school, he would be back at school in meetings before the kids would be starting in a few days. Here in Missouri the kids still have a couple of weeks before school starts. 

I remember this time of the year very well even though it has been sixteen years since I retired. I'm "saying" that really fast because it's so hard to believe it has been that long. It has been a good retirement so far though. I'm having a blast with friends I've made after moving to MO, learning new things like canasta and believe it or not, quilting. Let's just say "You're never too old to learn!" could never be more true. "Just be open!" is what I would add to that statement.

I would never have thought I would spend so much of my time in retirement searching for and trying new recipes. Heavens! I would never have thought I would be a blogger in my retirement years. I've eased off some since COVID, but I still try to post at least once or twice a week. Speaking of COVID, I would never have thought something would "steal" me of two years of my life ever. Those two years are just surreal. 

About three weeks ago my husband went to an estate sale with me since Friend Janice couldn't go with me. I bought a small lightweight waffle maker for $10 dollars and decided to make it. Wayne was a little skeptic but I told him our professional waffle maker like the ones you find in hotels for their breakfast bar was just so heavy and big and not very convenient to use and I LOVE WAFFLES.

Well, it didn't work so he brought up our older one so I could finish making the waffles. Long story short (yes, I do know how to tell a story shorter even though Wayne might want to disagree with that statement) I'm using our old one again. We found a place to store it in the kitchen so I don't have to go down to the garage to get it and it doesn't feel as heavy as I remember it.

I found this recipe in a Southern Living Homestyle Cooking cookbook and agree that they are "out-of-this-world" waffles. I cut the recipe in half because I didn't want to make 22 (4-inch) waffles, but I'm going to go on and share the full recipe since half the recipe wouldn't make enough for a family. 

A Printable  COPY of the recipe.



OUT-OF-THIS-WORLD PECAN WAFFLES

2-1/2    cups flour

1-1/2    tablespoons sugar   

1          tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder

3/4       teaspoon salt

2          large eggs, beaten

2-1/4    cups milk

3/4       cup oil

1/2       cup ground pecans (finely chopped in chopper)


Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.

Combine the eggs, milk, and oil and

then add to the flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.


Stir in pecans.


Bake in a preheated, oiled waffle iron until golden. 

Spread on the butter and a little powdered sugar and enjoy.










I hope your day is sunny and bright.

                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment