Monday, December 6, 2021

GERMAN CHOCOLATE PIE

 Since I haven't been baking as much lately, I am especially thankful that the few recipes I have tried have produced exceptional desserts. This German Chocolate Pie just might be at the top of the Best Ever Desserts I Have Made list. 

Friend Janice said it was the "best piece of pie ever!" After eating the first serving, Wayne asked me if Janice and I were going out the next day. I told him we were and he said, "Make sure you take a piece of pie to Janice and Leon (her husband). I don't need to be eating too much of it."

Seems like I can't make anything lately that doesn't have a story to go along with it. This one is no different. I was mixing up the ingredients and was in a hurry because I would be leaving before it was finished baking because of handbell practice at church. Wayne came in from somewhere right as I was mixing it up and distracted me. (I told him it was his fault.) Just as I was finishing pouring the filling in the pie crust, I realized I had forgotten to add the coconut and nuts. SO I just poured the filling back in the bowl (I probably could have just added the ingredients and stirred gently, but I didn't think of that.) and added the coconut and nuts. It meant the edge of the crust was a little messed up, but I just wet a piece of paper towel and gently rubbed off as much as I could. I did take a picture of the whole pie after it baked and shared it at the bottom. I made sure I cut a piece from the good side for my main picture of the pie



GERMAN CHOCOLATE PIE

1     cup dark chocolate chips

3     tablespoons butter

3     large eggs

1     (14-oz) can sweetened condensed milk

1     teaspoon salt

1     teaspoon vanilla

3/4  cup pecans, chopped

3/4  cup unsweetened shredded coconut (I used sweetened shredded coconut)

1     9 - inch unbaked pie crust

Cool whip (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


Place the chocolate chips and butter in a microwave - safe bowl and heat at 50% power in 30 - second intervals until melted, stirring after each interval.


Pour into a larger bowl. Use a rubber spatula to make sure you get every little bit of the melted chocolate.

Add the eggs and

whisk to combine.

Then add the milk, salt, and vanilla and whisk the mixture until

completely combined.

Stir in the nuts and coconuts.


Pour mixture into the pie crust.

Place pie on a baking sheet and bake until the filling puffs a little and the top is set but the center is still slightly jiggly, 35 to 40 minutes. (I cooked it the full 40 minutes.) Let pie cool on a wire rack.

Cool completely before cutting. If you like, you can top with whipped topping, a few more chopped nuts, and coconut. (We didn't. We couldn't wait that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment