Thursday, December 2, 2021

CANDIED SWEET POTATOES

This Thanksgiving we celebrated once again with our MO son and his family. Patrick always smokes the turkey and this year's was especially good. My husband Wayne said it was the best he had ever eaten. Don't miss the before and after pictures at the end.

I was requested to bring Pecan Pie, the Dressing, and sweet potatoes. Wayne and I especially enjoy a Sweet Potato Souffle that we first ate with friends in CA. They shared the recipe with me and it is my usual go-to recipe. I made it one year and only put the topping on half of the top because several in the family do not like nuts IN food, but since Patrick has asked me to make candied sweet potatoes. I have tried several different recipes, but I think this year I picked a good one. 

The number of sweet potatoes you cook will depend on how much you are planning to feed/make. I peeled and cooked 4 sweet potatoes but you might need more. You can adjust the amount of brown sugar and butter you use accordingly.



CANDIED SWEET POTATOES

Sweet potatoes (4 to 6 large)

Up to 3/4    cup brown sugar

1/4 - 1/2     cup butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. 

Peel and cut sweet potatoes into slices or chunks. (I cut mine into 1/2 inch slices and then cut the slices into chunks.) Place chunks in a pot covered with water and cook until done. Test doneness by inserting a fork in some of the chunks. The fork should come easily out the potato. Drain.


In a casserole dish big enough to hold the amount of sweet potatoes you have ( I used an iron skillet sprayed with non-sticking cooking spray.)

layer the potatoes with

the brown sugar and butter ending with the brown sugar and butter.

(I just had two layers.)


Bake uncovered about 30 minutes or till glazed. If you want to add miniature marshmallows for the last 5 minutes, you may. I didn't.

Spoon some of the liquid over the sweet potatoes before you serve them. 






Here are some pictures from our Thanksgiving, 2021.















Tyler fell asleep on the floor less than an hour after we finished eating. He reminded us of Patrick when he was little. He knew when he was getting sleepy but didn't want to miss anything. SO ... he would bring his pillow and sometimes a blanket to the family room and be asleep within minutes of his head hitting the pillow.







Madison didn't stay awake much longer after I took this picture with her daddy.















For those of you who celebrate Thanksgiving, I hope yours was as good as ours was. Thanksgiving 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment