Wednesday, September 8, 2021

CHOCOLATE PECAN PIE SQUARES

 I said in a recent post that our lives will never be the same after adding two kittens named Charlie and Parker to our family. Trying to adjust my new life (With Cats) with my old life (Pre - Cats) is stressful at times. The easiest time to get something done is when they are napping. The problem is there are too many things I need to do and sometimes I feel like napping also.

Anyway right now they have settled down and are napping so I will try to get this post out quickly before they wake up. Tuesday was my turn at hosting the canasta group and I wanted to make a dessert to serve. I waited to make it until Tuesday morning and the "boys" were entertaining themselves so I was able to get it made without too much trouble.

The recipe by Lisa Huff came from her cookbook, Kid Chef Bakes, The Kids Cookbook for Aspiring Bakers. If kids can make it, the recipe has to be easy, right? Well, it was quick and easy and very well received by my friends. I also liked that it made a smaller amount (an 8 - inch square baking dish) because it is so good I would be tempted to eat a lot more than I did.

I prefer to use dark chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet chocolate chips so the dessert was rich and chocolatey. I also made a lower calorie version that I will share below the recipe. Every little bit of calories I can save I feel is good. I also used erythritol for the sugar and brown sugar blend for the brown sugar. It was plenty sweet enough.

AND it would be a good dessert to make with you children or grandchildren.



CHOCOLATE PECAN PIE SQUARES

Crust:

3/4     cup flour

1/8     teaspoon salt

4        tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature

2        tablespoons brown sugar

Filling:

1        large egg

1        large egg yoke

1/3     cup light corn syrup

1/3     cup sugar

1        tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder

1        tablespoon unsalted butter, melted

1/2     teaspoon vanilla extract

1/8     teaspoon salt

3/4     cup chocolate chips

3/4     cup coarsely chopped pecans


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Light spray an 8 - inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.





Make the crust:


In a medium bowl, add the flour, salt, and brown sugar and mix with a whisk.

Then add butter.

Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until blended and crumbly. Can increase speed of mixer after ingredients are moistened. (You don't want to start out too fast or flour will go everywhere.)

Sprinkle mixture evenly over bottom of baking dish using a tablespoon.

Once you have it all sprinkled, then press down with fingers to make the crust.




Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges. (Mine didn't look golden brown, but I took out of the oven after 15 minutes.) Place on wire rack.

While the crust was baking - Make the filling:


In a large bowl, beat the filling ingredients except the chocolate chips and pecans.

Beat on medium speed until well blended.

With a spoon stir in the chocolate chips and pecans



Spoon evenly over the crust.









Return dish to oven and bake 20 to 25 more minutes, or until the middle appears set. I baked mine the full 25 minutes. The edges got brown before the middle was set so if that happens to you, cover the edges with foil to keep them from getting too brown. The edges didn't look great but they were not hard and didn't have a bad taste for the squares.

Cool completely before cutting into squares.










Patricia's Lighter Chocolate Pecan Pie Squares

Crust:

3/4     cup flour

1/8     teaspoon salt

4        tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature

1        tablespoon brown sugar blend

Filling:

1        large egg

1        large egg yoke

1/3     cup light corn syrup

1/2     cup erythritol

1        tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder

1        tablespoon unsalted butter, melted

1/2     teaspoon vanilla extract

1/8     teaspoon salt

3/4     cup dark chocolate chips

3/4     cup coarsely chopped pecans


I almost forgot ... I usually let you know how the canasta game went. I'll just say it was a really fun afternoon especially for Friends Vicky and Susan and me and leave it at that. 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment