Monday, September 20, 2021

CHOCOLATE CHIP CHERRY CAKE

 Friend Sandi told me about a recipe of her mother's that I might want to try. She even made it before I had a chance and brought a generous piece for everyone last week when Blankets of Hope met last Tuesday. It was so moist and delicious that I decided I was going to make it the next day with my twist, of course.

You see after not being able to get together for a good year and a half, the handbell group at church is finally going to be able to play at church again with masks and social distance. Our first evening of practice was last Wednesday. We will be playing once a month in the traditional service and we can't wait. 

I'm sure you see where I am going with this story. I told them that I felt our first practice after 18 months deserved to be celebrated with a treat. As for my twist on Sandi's mother's recipe, I used sugar-free yellow cake mix and a can of no-sugar-added cherry pie filling. I also used unsweetened applesauce which Sandi might have done also and since I didn't have any mini chocolate chips, I used a 10 - oz bag of dark chocolate chips. I even sprinkled some sugar-free powdered sugar I had made. Of course when using the no-sugar-added cherry pie filling, it isn't as sweet as Sandi's. I really can't tell the difference when I use the sugar-free cake mixes. I wish they would make more varieties other than yellow and devil's food, but they are better than nothing. The sugar-free brownies mix they make is very, very good if you have never tried it.



CHOCOLATE CHIP CHERRY CAKE

1     box vanilla cake mix (I used a sugar-free yellow cake mix)

1/2  cup applesauce (I used unsweetened applesauce)

2     eggs

1     can cherry pie filling (I used a no-sugar-added cherry pie filling)

1     cup or less mini chocolate chips (I used a 10 - oz bag of dark chocolate chips)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a Bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.


In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients and

stir together until well blended.

Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes and


then remove to finish cooling.

Remove to cake platter or cake storage container.

Before serving, you may sprinkle some powdered sugar over cake to make it pretty.










Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator.

Here are a few pictures of Charlie and Parker napping which they do a lot of. They have certainly made a change in our lives. 

Charlie is sound asleep. I think the markings around his eyes are really interesting.



Well, Parker was sleeping and woke up or I should say opened his eyes, just as I took the picture. He didn't get up. He ended up closing his eyes and slept a little longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment