Monday, September 27, 2021

EASY NO-SUGAR-ADDED APPLE BREAD

 It has been a long time since I cooked something "sweet" for us or anyone. My sweet-tooth can really been aching too. We haven't even been eating as much frozen custard either. Gosh. I wonder why. Maybe two new additions to the family - Mr. Charlie and Mr. Parker have something to do with it. I said when we first adopted them that our lives would never be the same. Needless to say-that was an understatement if there ever was one.

We will be taking them to the vet later this afternoon to get their second round of shots. Anxious to see how much they weigh. Using our scales and weighing myself first and then picking them up one at a time, I think they have gained 1.2 lbs since their first visit. They gained the pound in one week, no gain the next week and then 0.2 pound this last week. Eating, sleeping, and playing with each other are their favorites things to do. Charlie likes to jump up my leg which really hurts and explore. Parker is trying to learn (bad) things from Charlie. Parker can drink from the faucet in the bathroom. Charlie eats faster than Parker and will move over to Parker's plate when he finishes his own portion to help Parker finish.

Yesterday started early because we had to be at church 45 minutes early as our Sunday school class was hospitality for both the 9:30 and 11:00 services. We ended up missing the first quarter of the Chiefs vs Rams football game because it started at noon. After they ended up losing the game, I decided it was time I went to the kitchen to bake something. I managed to almost get it in the oven before the kittens woke up and came upstairs to the kitchen and started bugging me. 

The recipe I chose to make was for an Easy Cake Mix Apple Bread. Besides just sounding good, I had a Sugar-Free cake mix so that meant I could make it sugar-free. I also had some cinnamon sugar that I had mixed up using Erythritol. The only mistake I made was deciding to make it into 5 mini loaves instead of two 8 x 4 inch loaves. One slice of a mini loaf wasn't enough; I had to cut another second slice to satisfy myself.

Satisfy yourself making this Sugar-Free or use a regular yellow cake mix and sugar.



EASY NO-SUGAR-FREE APPLE BREAD

BREAD:

 1     box yellow cake mix (without pudding) (I used a SF yellow cake mix)

1/2   cup oil

3/4   cup milk (I use skim milk)

3      eggs

1      tablespoon ground cinnamon

3/4   teaspoon ground ginger

1/4   teaspoon ground nutmeg

2      cups coarsely shredded, peeled tart apples

TOPPING:

2      tablespoons sugar or sugar substitute (Erythritol, Splenda, etc)

1/2   teaspoon ground cinnamon


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour bottoms only of two 8 x 4 - inch loaf pans or five mini-loaf pans. Set aside.


In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for the bread except the apples on low with electric mixture until dry ingredients are moistened. Scrape down the sides using a spatula. Increase speed and beat 2 minutes.

Scrape down the sides of the bowl again and then add apples and

stir to blend them in with the batter.


Divide batter between pans.

Combine the topping ingredients and then sprinkle evenly over the top of each loaf.

Bake for about 40 minutes for mini-loaves or 45 to 50 minutes for larger loaves. Test doneness with a toothpick. Remove and cool 10 minutes in pans on wire racks.


Then remove the loaves and finish cooling them on the wire racks. Wrap in foil to store. You can freeze them or give them to friends. They will certainly appreciate your kindness.
Charlie and Parker eating....

and napping...

Charlie

Parker

Hope you have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment