Thursday, July 2, 2020

DAY 112: AMISH PEACH CRUMB PIE

If you visited here on Monday you know I promised to share another peach recipe today. This peach pie uses fresh peaches, but only one crust because the top is a crumb topping. 

I didn't have the tapioca and all I could find at HyVee was tapioca flour in the health food section. The package said it was good for sauces and fruit pies for thickening so I decided it was better than nothing. I thought my peaches were ripe. We bought them almost a week earlier and I had put them in a paper sack to ripen and forgot about them. They smelled like peaches when I opened the sack so I couldn't believe it when I cut the first one and it was still fairly hard. Actually I knew when I started peeling them, but since the pie cooked 45 minutes I figured the peaches would be cooked (and they were). 

I wasn't prepared for the edges of the crust to burn though because they didn't mention it in the recipe. I did my best trying to put some foil over the edges to keep them from getting any more dark, but it was really too late. I would recommend that you check it about half way thru baking and cover the edges if they are getting too brown. My outcome didn't look as good as the one in the cookbook because of that and the fact that my crumbs didn't evenly cover the top as it was supposed to. It didn't ruin the overall taste though so I just reminded myself - "I'm not perfect!"

This cookbook called Amish Cooking features the recipe and picture of the dish over a two-page spread AND a picture of some form of Amish life. The picture that came along with the Peach Crumb Pie showed "monthly sewing circles give women the opportunity to socialize, to quilt and to sew items for relief and benefit auctions". The picture shows Amish ladies sitting around a loom quilting a blanket. So beautiful!



PEACH CRUMB PIE

2-1/2  tablespoons tapioca
3/4     cup sugar
1/4     teaspoon salt
4        cups sliced peaches

1/3     cup packed brown sugar
1/4     cup flour
1/2     teaspoon cinnamon
2-1/2  tablespoons soft butter
1        8-1/2 to 9 - inch unbaked pie crust

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.


Mix together the tapioca, sugar, and salt and
then cover peaches in a large bowl and

let the mixture set for 5 minutes before
pouring it into the pie shell.
Mix the rest of the ingredients (brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and
soft butter
) in another bowl to make
the crumb topping.
Crumble evenly over the peach filling. 
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes.

As I said the edges of the crust got too brown, but I didn't notice it until it had cooked 30+ minutes.
So I tried to cover the edges with foil to keep them from burning more.














Store pie in the refrigerator. 

Variations: other fruit may be used, but this recipe is especially good with apples.

Many states are not moving to the next phase of opening up and some are actually shutting things back down as cases are increasing considerably as some areas opened up too soon and people acted as if the virus was contained. Our mayor has ordered mask wearing when you can't stay 6 feet apart and some states are ordering it for the whole state. Our governor won't do that, but I'm glad at least our city will be. Lots of people are protesting that the government is trying to tell them how they can live. I gladly wear my mask out of respect to the people around me. My mask not only keeps me safer, it also protects people around me in case I have the virus and not aware of it. Be safe and wear a mask if you go out.

CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC NUMBERS, 7/2/2020

UNITED STATES

CONFIRMED CASES     2,780,152
RECOVERED CASES    1,164,794
DEATHS                             130,798

GLOBAL

CONFIRMED CASES     10,834,243
RECOVERED CASES      6,054,119
DEATHS                               519,584




No comments:

Post a Comment