Monday, July 6, 2020

DAY - 116 - THE GOLDEN STATE CAKE

My husband Wayne keeps saying we need to clean out the garage so a week or so ago, (Who knows what day it is anymore with this pandemic? I certainly don't.) I decided to pull out a folder I made years ago (probably the 80s) and go through it. 

Fortunately the folder, labeled "Recipes to try SOON", wasn't terribly thick. I brought it upstairs and sat down on my glider on the back porch and started going through the recipes. If I came across a recipe that I now don't think I would ever make, I laid it in the discard pile. If I thought I would like to try it soon, it went in another pile. The rest were returned to the file. Oh, come on! At least it's a start!

This recipe called The Golden State Cake had been on the back of a box of C & H Golden Brown Sugar. I can't remember the last time I bought brown sugar in a box. Well, the recipe sounded good. The only problem I had was it called for biscuit mix and I didn't have any. That meant I couldn't make it quite as soon as I hoped, but the next time we went to Aldi, I saw a box and bought it. At the time I couldn't remember what recipe I needed it for, but I did at least remember I need it for one.

Even though I have not returned to actually volunteer at Hillcrest, I started a few weeks ago making a dessert and surprising them with it. It is a little more relaxing since I can take it any day I want to. I can make it any day I like.

I made it Thursday evening and dropped it off Friday morning on my way to the Y. Wayne had cut him a piece while it was still warm and declared it as good. (He used a dinner knife and not a sharp knife.)  It was after 7 pm and since I don't eat anything after 7, I had to wait until the next day. Several people ate a piece before I left and also said it was delicious. I finally ate my piece after I got home from the Y. I also thought it was good, but also thought it would taste great with some fresh fruit. I saved a piece for Friend Fran who sent me a message later saying how much she liked it.



THE GOLDEN STATE CAKE

3        cups biscuit mix
1-1/2  cups brown sugar, packed
1/2     cup flour
1/8     teaspoon salt
6        eggs
1        package (8-ounces) cream cheese, softened (or at room temperature) (I used 1/3 less fat)
3/4    cup butter, softened (or at room temperature)
1       teaspoon vanilla


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray a 12 - cup Bundt pan or 10 - inch tube pan. Set aside.


Blend all ingredients in large mixer bowl on low speed for 1/2 minute, scraping bowl frequently.
(I blended the dry ingredients first before
adding the eggs, cream cheese, butter, and vanilla.)
Beat batter 4 minutes at medium speed. Scrape the sides of the bowl again.
Spoon batter into pan and bake 55 to 60 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool slightly on wire rack before removing from pan. (I ran a knife around the edges of the pan, especially the center.)










Before cutting dust with powdered sugar to finish it off. (Forgot to take a picture Friday morning before I took the cake to Hillcrest.)

CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC NUMBERS, 7/6/2020

UNITED STATES

CONFIRMED CASES       2,983,155
RECOVERED CASES      1,289,687
DEATHS                              132,571

GLOBAL

CONFIRMED CASES      11,588,427
RECOVERED CASES       6,555,543
DEATHS                                537,388

No comments:

Post a Comment