Thursday, July 9, 2020

DAY 119 - GOOSEBERRY PIE

Wayne loves gooseberry pie. I didn't know this until he ordered a piece at Roxanne's Cafe one time. Roxanne's mother Brenda makes it. She even gave me her recipe. I didn't use it this time because she uses canned gooseberries and I had fresh ones Friend Carla picked and gave us.

The recipe I used was in the Midwest Old Threshers Cookbook, 1989 - 40th Reunion Limited Edition. The hardest part of picking the stems off the berries. I ended up helping Wayne because it was taking him a long time. He decided it was harder for him because he didn't have long enough fingernails. Actually making the pie was super easy. Since I had never eaten gooseberry pie, Wayne insisted I try it. So I ate one gooseberry and decided it was just too tart for me. He loves it though so I guess since I made it for him, that's all that is important.



GOOSEBERRY PIE

Pastry for 2 crust pie
1     quart (4 cups) gooseberries
1     cup sugar
4     tablespoons flour
1/2  teaspoon cinnamon
1     tablespoon butter


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line an 8 - inch pie pan with one of the crust. 


Spread the gooseberries over the pastry shell.
Combine the sugar, flour, and cinnamon and
sprinkle over the gooseberries.
Dot with butter.
Cover pie with the second crust.
Turn edges of top crust under the bottom crust and
crimp edges to seal.
Cut 6 slits in top of pie and
bake for 45 minutes.
Cool before serving. 


Store in the refrigerator.

CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC NUMBERS, 7/9/2020

UNITED STATES

CONFIRMED CASES    3,159,375
RECOVERED CASES   1,393,256
DEATHS                           134,883

GLOBAL

CONFIRMED CASES   12,198,375
RECOVERED CASES    7,095,636
DEATHS                             552,785

BE SAFE! WEAR MASKS! SOCIAL DISTANCE! AND WASH YOUR HANDS

5 comments:

  1. Thanks very much for the recipes. I'm going to add gooseberries to my garden soon and needed recipes to use them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I received a tiny gooseberry plant several years ago from a seed catalog (Burpees??). It was supposed to be 'tame' but once it started producing berries, it also grew thorns. I LOVE it. I've stemmed 7 quarts of gooseberries already and its still half full. If I lift a limb it is over 5' long! And about 5' wide. Mine does not grow in full sun-- it gets sun at random times during the day. Just wishing you good luck if you plant one! (I'm able to push its branches into the ground and hold them with a wire to produce new plants--so I have 3 more bushes started that already have berries.

      Delete
    2. Wow. Very interesting. I don't think I have seen any growing. My friend who has gooseberries asked me a few weeks ago if I were still interested in them. I haven't seen her since during covid. I will have to talk to her the next time I see her about her bushes. Glad you are having so much good luck with them. Patricia

      Delete
  2. I grow gooseberries. All I have are thorny. I make jam and pies for our church sales. Once people try them they usually like the product. Some I add a bit extra sugar. Good recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. When we went to lunch today after church at Roxanne's Cafe, they had a gooseberry pie. Thanks for stopping by. Patricia

      Delete