Monday, June 29, 2020

DAY 109 and PEACH COFFEE CAKE

I love peaches! They are one of my most favorite fruits! I love peaches so much that this week I am sharing two recipes using peaches that I made over the last few days. 

The good news for you (just in case you don't loves peaches as much as I do) is that both recipe could be made using other fruits. Only the second recipe says you can use other fruits, but I've cooked enough to know you could use a different fruit pie filling and make the recipe and it would taste just as good.

The first recipe, Peach Coffee Cake, uses a peach pie filling, but the second one I will be sharing mid-week, Amish Peach Pie, uses fresh peaches. Even though I thought the peaches were ripe, they weren't, but cooking for 45 minutes, they weren't too bad (but you'll hear more of that when I share that recipe).

The Peach Coffee Cake, I made and took to the thrift shop for the volunteers. Even though I am still presently not volunteering, I recently decided I should be treating/thanking those who have decided to come back to volunteer during this coronavirus pandemic. It also give me a serving of a sweet without being tempted to eat more. 

Wayne and I are still working out at the Y on the average three days a week. I am still making masks - this time personal print requests for some more servers at Corner Cafe. I also plan to make more masks for grandchildren Madison and Tyler as they will be required to wear them when school starts in August. Today the city of Kansas City begins a mask order in all public places. We have always worn as masks but it seems like more and more people aren't wearing them out in public so we are glad to have the order. Of course, lots of people are not happy about it. Instead of seeing the request as being respectful of others, many see it as the government telling them what they can do. Numbers of confirmed cases and deaths are increasing in several states and so they are starting to back tract on opening up. Deaths are not rising as much so I am thankful the doctors are being more successful with the treatment of the virus.



The recipe came from my Midwest Old Threshers Cookbook, 1989 - 40th Reunion Limited Edition.
PEACH COFFEE CAKE

1       can peach pie filling (or your favorite pie filling)
2       teaspoons ground cinnamon

3       cups flour
3       teaspoons baking powder
1       teaspoon salt
1       cup sugar
1-1/2 cups milk
1/2    cup (1 stick) softened butter
3       eggs

1/4    cup packed brown sugar
1/4    cup chopped nuts
2       tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 - inch pan with no-stick cooking spray.

Cut peaches in filling into chunks with two knives. Mix pie filling and cinnamon; set aside.

Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl;
then add milk, softened butter, and eggs.
Mix on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping the sides of the bowl several times. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes, scraping the bowl frequently. 
Pour half of the batter into the pan.
Spoon half of the pie filling mixture (1 cup) on top of cake batter.
Careful spread the rest of the batter over the fruit.
Drop the remaining pie filling on top.

Sprinkle brown sugar and nuts over pie filling. Drizzle with melted butter.
(I combined the brown sugar and nuts in a small bowl and then added melted butter to the mixture.
Then dropped small chunks over the top.)

Bake 40 to 50 minutes. Check doneness with a toothpick inserted in the center.

Best served warm.



CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC NUMBERS, 6/29/2020

UNITED STATES

CONFIRMED CASES    2,637,180   
RECOVERED                1,093,527
DEATHS                           128,438

GLOBAL

CONFIRMED CASES   10,272,180
RECOVERED                 5,574,527
DEATHS                            128,438

No comments:

Post a Comment