Thursday, June 25, 2020

DAY 105 and MRS. YODER'S CHERRY PUDDING

It was bound to happen sooner or later. I've made four desserts in the last seven days and hope to make another one in the next day or two... the new one to take to the thrift shop for the volunteers. I just have to figure out what it will be.

Last week when we went to the grocery store I bought two bags of frozen whole pitted sweet cherries. I didn't really have a recipe in mind, but they looked so tempting on the picture on the bag I decided I would probably find something to use them for. There's always a smoothie as an idea.

Well, it didn't take me long to find a recipe in my cookbook, Art of Amish Cooking for Cherry Pudding. I was prepared this time when I saw the word "pudding" to not expect a creamy sweet dessert. Mrs. Ada Yoder of Iowa used 2 cups cherries (pie cherries). When I tried to measure the large frozen cherries, I decided to just use the whole 16 - oz bag. I laid them out on a dinner plate in a single layer to thaw some while I was mixing up the "pudding".

I hadn't prepared my husband so when I asked him if he wanted some of the Cherry Pudding, he said yes. Even though it wasn't what he expected, he did eat some and said it was good, but they should have called it something else besides "pudding". 😁 



CHERRY PUDDING

3/4     cup sugar
2        tablespoons butter or shortening (I used butter that I softened to room temperature)
2        eggs
1/2      cup milk
2        cups flour
2        teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
2        cups cherries (pie cherries) (I used a 16-oz bag of frozen sweet pitted cherries, thawed slightly.)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 2 quarts - 8 x 11 - inch baking dish.
Mix sugar and butter til smooth,

then add eggs and milk.
(I changed to a whisk from my wooden spoon.)
Sift flour, baking powder, and salt and
add to sugar mixture.
Add cherries and
stir up well.
Spread in baking dish and bake 40 to 45 minutes or till set in the center.

Cool before cutting.












Serve with sweet milk (or ice cream).

Store covered in the refrigerator.


CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC NUMBERS, 6/25/2020

UNITED STATES

CONFIRMED CASES    2,463,438
RECOVERED                1,040,608
DEATHS                           124,294

GLOBAL

CONFIRMED CASES     9,558,441
RECOVERED                 5,198,001
DEATHS                             485,611

3 comments:

  1. I must say it looks very yummy! I think I would like it better with sour pie cherries, rather than the sweet cherries. Probably would just add more sugar, I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pixie, I wrote it as it was in the cookbook. My frozen cherries just happened to be dark sweet. You could increase the sugar to 1 cup if you used the sour cherries. Patricia

      Delete
  2. on ira chercher un grand cappuccino glacé à la vanille avec de la crème fouettée samedi le 27 juin 2020 on ira chercher un grand cappuccino glacé au caramel avec de la crème fouettée dimanche le 28 juin 2020 on ira chercher un grand tim glacé au moka lundi le 29 juin 2020 on ira chercher un grand tim glacé au original mardi le 30 juin 2020 on ira chercher un grand cappuccino glacé au moka avec de la crème fouettée mercredi le 01 juillet 2020 on ira chercher un grand cappuccino glacé régulier avec de la crème fouettée jeudi le 02 juillet 2020 on ira chercher un grand tim glacé au caramel vendredi le 03 juillet 2020

    ReplyDelete