Monday, June 22, 2020

DAY 102 and BAKED APPLE FRITTERS

My last post was on Day 90 and now it is Day 102.  Not really sure what was going on and why I didn't blog anything new during those 12 days. It is easy for the days to just run together with our continued "stay-at-home". I mean we aren't completely staying at home but since my regular activities haven't restarted, it feels like I am just staying at home. 

My canasta friends met last Friday at a park for a picnic and to visit while social distancing and wearing masks. It rained most of the 2 hours, but the shelter was large so we didn't get wet. Even though we have stayed in touch with group texting it was good to "see" everyone.

I also had my 6-month full-body checkup with my dermatologist. Hard to believe it has been 4 years since my in situ melanoma was discovered and removed on my leg. I had the surgery the first week in July and the silver dollar sized "crater" was finally healed the middle of September. That was an interesting summer. Except for finding a friendly tick (he really didn't want to let go), my report was good.

My six-month dental cleaning had to be rescheduled from May due to Covid-19 and that occurred the same week. I was a little nervous since it was seven-months since my last cleaning, but everything went fine! (They also liked the Baked Cherry Fritters I took the staff. I always take them something so they will be good to me and not hurt me. 😉)

Our other exciting (?) news is Wayne and I rejoined the Y to get more exercise. They are doing an outstanding job trying to keep the 60+ members safe. They close at 8:00 AM for 30 minutes to clean and then reopen at 8:30 til 10:30 for 60+ members. Every other piece of equipment (except for the circuits) is closed so there is social distancing. The also have plenty of cleaning aids so we can clean the equipment before and after we use it. Temperatures are checked when we walk in and a face masks is required except in the actual workout areas. 

I haven't returned to the thrift shop to volunteer yet, because my "job" is working a register. Even though precautions have been made for the volunteers, Wayne and my friends are still concerned because I would be dealing with the public. So I told the staff it would still be awhile before I come back, BUT in the meantime I would continue to bring them treats to eat. That changed their frowns to smiles. (Just kidding.) This recipe is the second one I have taken to them since this all started.

I saw the recipe on Facebook and thought it just looked too good to not try. I have let my imagination run while by considering using (no sugar added) cherry pie filling which I did for us and for my dentist. (I made it in two pie plates instead of a 9 x 13 - inch pan and just separated the pie filling in half after I cut the cherries in half). But I think you could use blueberry pie filling or strawberry pie filling, too. I told Wayne I would try it just adding fresh blueberries instead of the pie fillings. I will let you know how that turns out. 

If you follow me, you know I like to do EASY and this recipe definitely fits the bill. It only takes 3 ingredients and 45 minutes to bake or 30 minutes if you make only half of it.



BAKED APPLE FRITTERS

2       "cans" of refrigerated cinnamon rolls
1       can apple pie filling (or cherry, blueberry, strawberry, etc)
1/2    cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan for whole recipe or an 8 or 9 - inch pie pan for half of the recipe. Set aside.


Chop the pie filling so that the apple slices or in chunks and put in a large mixing bowl.
Add the chopped nuts and
stir to blend with spoon.


Remove the cinnamon rolls and cut each roll into quarters.
Add the quarters to the pie filling mixture. (I separated the pieces of the cinnamon rolls to make sure there were plenty of cinnamon roll pieces spread out through the pan. When I made the half cherry pie one for us, I didn't separate the quarters to see how it was. It was fine, but I think I like separating the quarters better.
 


Spread mixture into pan and
bake for 45 minutes (large pan) or 30 minutes (for pie pans).
Drizzle the icing that comes in the can with the cinnamon rolls over the top as soon as you bring it out of the oven.



Cool slightly.
Cut the 9 x 13 - inch pan one in squares.
I scooped out our cherry fritters in the pie pan with a large spoon. 
This is what our Cherry Fritters looked like.




























Day 105 and Mrs. Yoder's Cherry Pudding...



CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC NUMBERS, 6/22/2020

UNITED STATES

CONFIRMED CASES   2,356,841
RECOVERED                  980,367
DEATHS                          122,250

GLOBAL

CONFIRMED CASES    9,078,485
RECOVERED                4,861,774  
DEATHS                           471,247

No comments:

Post a Comment