Monday, September 18, 2017

OFF TO EUREKA SPRINGS, AR

On Thursday of the week we vacationed in Bella Vista, AR, we decided to revisit Eureka Springs, AR. When we lived in Fayetteville, AR, 30+ years ago, we went to Eureka Springs several times. We thought there might be a lot of changes in those 30+ years, but interestingly enough, we remembered a lot of it. 

Eureka Springs is a must if you are visiting northwest Arkansas. It consists of 360 streets that wind around the town, has no stop signs, and no cross streets. There are 65 natural springs that helped give it one of its names as the "City that Water Built" because they believed the springs had restorative and healing properties. I would really recommend that you check out the above link and read more about it and its fascinating history. As much as I would like, I can't do it justice here. 

Since we were staying in Bella Vista, the first part of the route was a new road for us. Several stretches of the road winded through heavily wooded areas and we couldn't help but remark that in another month that was going to be a really pretty area with all the fall colors.

Just before we got to Eureka Springs, my husband pulled off at a place on the side of the road to let a truck go around us. (He had been behind us for a while.) The really neat thing about doing that was that we noticed a couple of businesses across the road on the other side. One was a log cabin that looked like my kind of place and the other was called Castle Antique. In between was a place where you could look out over the valley and White River, Inspiration Point. (I actually took this picture through the window of the second story of the antique shop. I liked that I could see more of White River there.)

I loved the Velvet Otter. Cheryl, I hope I remember her name correctly, was very friendly and eager to talk to us about the cabin which was built in the late 1800s and the things she had to sell. She was also good to listen to us reminisce about when we lived in Fayetteville. She told us the cabin was originally a restaurant. It was very well constructed. 


(I loved some spoon bracelets and couldn't make up my mind which one to get, so I just got both of them. My husband suggested it. Thanks, Dear!) I have baby spoons from each son that I have wanted to have made into bracelets but just never have. I should. Anyway, I would strongly recommend that you stop and check out Cheryl's shop if you find yourself on Highway 62 just west of Eureka Springs.

I didn't take a picture of the Castle Antiques Shop but did take one of the owners' house (at least part of it). He said it was the only one in the country made like it. The house was built in the 1920s as a hunting lodge. Instead of placing the rocks flat (vertically) against the side of the house, they are placed on top of each other (horizontally) with the pointed side outside. You might be able to see the technique on the short outbuilding in the center of the page. They also used the technique in the wall, but the points aren't as prominent in the wall as they were in the house. 

We asked the owner of the antique shop where he liked to eat in Eureka Springs and he said Local Flavor which was across the street from the Trolley Depot. We found a place to park just down the street from the Trolley Depot that cost $5/4 hours and headed down the street. We found out information about the trolley and decided during lunch that we should take the narrative tour so that my husband could see the things also. You can drive the historic loop in your car, but I knew he wouldn't be able to see things since he was driving. And we would also hear all about the area. It was a little pricey at about $17/each, but it lasted about 90 minutes and it was good to hear about places we were seeing along the way so I think it was worth it. Tim did a great job also as our guide. 

Before I forget, lunch was just perfect. My husband got a Cobb salad and I asked if they had luncheon size salads because I knew I would never eat a full salad. Our waiter said they didn't, but he could prepare me a side salad size one for which ever salad I wanted. I got the lemon chicken Caesar salad and it was just the right amount! I would highly recommend the Local Flavor restaurant if you are looking for a place to eat.

Have you ever taken a trolley ride through a city or historic district and everything seemed to be on the other side of the trolley than where you were sitting? Well, that was usually the case with me. Very frustrating! The good news I could usually still see the places because it was an open-air trolley, but it meant I couldn't get as good a picture. 

When I share pictures with you of our travels, I like to state what the picture is. This time though I am just going to share the pictures. I may say something about a few of the pictures, but generally you can just enjoy the sites. There were so many beautiful Victorian homes that I just loved.
The Local Flavor where we ate lunch.







The next few pictures are of the Crescent Hotel  (1886). One of the times that we came over to Eureka Springs years ago, we stayed a couple of night at the Crescent Hotel. It was a fun experience!




The resident cat probably in his favorite place.






The next two pictures are of the Fuller House. It has two unique things about it...1) it is the largest house in Eureka Springs and 2) it has never been sold, but has remained in the Fuller family since it was built.





The next picture shows the backside of a house. Many of the houses built in Eureka Springs are like this. From the front it looks like a small one story house, but in reality it will have three or four stories below because of the way it was built on the hillside.


Another one of the springs


A different spring

 No, we are not in New Orleans.
Basin Park


This cozy little blue house just above the Trolley Depot was a Sears kit-house.


Before we left town, we stopped by the Mud Street Annex to enjoy a piece of pie. I got their most popular homemade Coconut Cream, but my husband decided to get a strawberry muffin.


As we were leaving town, 







we had to stop at Thorncrown Chapel. I will let the pictures speak for themselves. Please, go to the link to learn about this awesome place.



I hope you have enjoyed my pictures and maybe put a trip to Eureka Springs on your bucket list. You won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment