Thursday, September 21, 2017

APPLESAUCE SPICE CAKE

We are back from our vacation in Northwest Arkansas and trying to get back to the old routine. Even though August was cooler than normal, it looks like September will be a little warmer than normal. We have finally gotten some rain this week after I think about 18 days without any. 

I did manage to get my sewing room cleaner back in August so being able to get in the door has renewed my interest into sewing. I took a lap quilt I was making for Blankets of Hope ( church quilting group) with us and finished slip stitching the binding down. Since I have been back I made another one like my Sew & Quilt-in-One method. It turned out pretty. I am almost through sewing the blocks for another one and will get them sewed together this week. It is a new pattern and I plan to share it with you in a short tutorial next week. It sorta reminds you of a jigsaw puzzle.

I missed going to Hillcrest Thrift Shop last week because Blankets of Hope met at the church, but this week I was back on my Tuesday. I found a chocolate cake I was going to make that used a German chocolate cake mix, but when I looked to see if I had one, I saw I didn't. What I did have was several spice cake mixes. It didn't take me long to find a recipe to make using one of them. The recipe actually called for a yellow cake mix, but I thought it would be spicier using a spice cake mix.



APPLESAUCE SPICE CAKE

1        package spice cake mix
1        (3.4 oz) package instant vanilla or butterscotch pudding mix (I wanted to use a butterscotch one but didn't have one.)
1         cup applesauce
1/2      cup water
1/3      cup oil
4         eggs
1-1/2   teaspoons apple pie spice

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10 or 12 cup Bundt pan.


In a large mixing bowl, mix the cake mix and pudding mix. Then add the applesauce, water, oil, eggs, and spice.


Stir on low til all ingredients are wet, about 30 seconds. Scrape the sides of the bowl.


Increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl again
and pour into prepared pan.






Bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of the cake comes out clean.


Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack.


Remove from pan onto serving plate.

Cool completely.




Drizzle with Spice Glaze:








SPICE GLAZE

2         cups sifted powdered sugar
1         tablespoon butter, softened
1/2      teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2 to 4  tablespoons milk


Sift powdered sugar and then measure out 2 cups in a medium mixing bowl.
Add spice and whisk together to blend.


Add 2 tablespoons of milk to butter
and add to sugar. Stir with whisk til all the sugar as blended in.


Add additional milk as needed for the consistency you want. (I added one more tablespoon of milk.)


Pour over cooled cake letting the glaze run down the sides.


2 comments:

  1. Can this be baked in a 9×13 pan? If yes how long to bake and what temp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would make it in a 9 x 13 - inch pan at the same temperature. I would check it after 40 minutes. Press lightly in center. The cake should spring back. The edges should be pulling away from sides of the pan also to indicate the cake is done. Thanks for your question. Patricia

      Delete