Friday, September 29, 2017

AMISH APPLE BARS

Okay, I have actually gone a whole week and didn't make one dessert. Honest! I wanted to go a few more days but just couldn't do it. (I didn't have anything I could busy myself with to distract me. I did have a few things I could/needed to do, but in the battle between the dessert and the quilting and crocheting, the dessert won.)

Now that it is officially fall and the fact that Friend Sue brought everyone apples when we gathered at Friend Pat's house for Farkle, "make something with apples" just kept calling me. 

First I checked Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove Cookbook to see if I had marked a recipe with apples. When I saw I hadn't, the next cookbook I picked up was The Farmhouse Kitchen of the Amish Community Cooking from Greenville, PA and saw I had marked Ed & Mary Slabaugh's Apple Bars to try. I couldn't help but feel like it was meant for me to make this recipe and not look any further. (I could literally spend an hour or more searching for a recipe in my cookbook if I am not careful.

I tried to follow their recipe as is but when I saw they used the brown sugar two different ways in the recipe, I decided to try using less brown sugar in the "crumbs". I also made them multi-grain by using half all-purpose flour and half whole wheat pastry flour. 

We loved them!



APPLE BARS

1       cup flour (I used 1/2 cup all-purpose flour + 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour)
1/2    teaspoon baking soda
1/2    teaspoon salt
1/2    cup brown sugar (I reduced it to 1/3 cup)
1       cup quick oats
1/2    cup shortening
1/4    cup brown sugar
2-1/2 cups sliced apples

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 


Combine flour, baking soda, salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and oats together in a bowl.
Cut in shortening with a fork to make crumbs.
(I separate the shortening out and stick it to the side of the bowl. Then I work each clump in until it is the consistency I want and then pull down another clump.
I finished up at the end using my fingers to make sure I didn't have any large lumps of shortening left. Sorry, I just can't keep my fingers out of it.)
Spread about half of the crumbs in the bottom of a 9 x 9 - inch square pan. (I started trying to "pat" the crumbs in the bottom of the pan
and then decided not to worry about it.)
Place apple slices on crumbs.
(I made one single layer
and then filled in empty places with the extra slices.)

Sprinkle apple slices with the 1/4 cup of brown sugar.

Cover with the remaining crumbs.
Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. (I baked mine for 45 minutes to make sure the apple was soft.)


Cool on wire rack.
Once cooled,
cut into squares to serve.

They remove nicely with a flat spatula.

No comments:

Post a Comment