Tuesday, September 26, 2017

BANANA MUFFINS

Whenever I have bananas that have ripened more than what my husband will eat, I am always on the lookout for a new recipe to try using them. (I only eat bananas when they are firm and just turned yellow.) This recipe was Mrs. Perry Troyer's and in my Heritage County Harvest Cookbook of from the Amish in Northern Indiana. She says the recipe makes about 12 muffins. I'm not sure what I did, but I made 12 muffins and one mini loaf.  I guess I could have filled the muffin cups almost full, but she said 3/4 full and that is what I did.

These muffins are not cakelike, but more dense - a moist dense though. My MO grandchildren really liked them.



BANANA MUFFINS

1        cup flour
1        teaspoon baking powder
1/2     teaspoon salt
3/4     cup sugar (I removed 6 teaspoons of the sugar)
1-1/2  cups mashed bananas (3 - 4 bananas)
3/4     cup raisins - optional (I used craisins)
1/2     cup oatmeal (I used old fashioned oats)
1        teaspoon soda
1        egg
1/3     cup shortening (I used oil)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray.


Combine dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, salt, oatmeal, and baking soda.
 Add raisins/craisins. Set aside.


Combine sugar, bananas, egg, and oil in mixing bowl.



Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour banana mixture in the center.


Stir just til combined.


Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. 


I had enough batter left to make a mini loaf.


Bake for 20 to 23 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.


Run a knife around the edges to loosen
and then let them cool in pan on wire rack.




A bit of Amish wisdom on the bottom of the page below the recipe...

"Yesterday is like a cancelled check - - it's gone.
Tomorrow is a promissory note - - not here yet.
Today is cash - - use it wisely and prepare to meet your God."

No comments:

Post a Comment