Thursday, August 17, 2017

ZERELDA'S BLACKBERRY COBBLER

I have written before about our excitement over finally getting blackberries from our bushes we planted at least six years ago. Almost all of the blackberries I froze for later use. It will be nice enjoying some delicious treat made with them when there is several inches of snow on the ground this winter. It is surprising how much difficulty I have had finding recipes using blackberries. 

Knowing this, image my surprise when I found one in the most unexpected place. We were visiting the James Farm  (as in Frank and Jesse James) in Kearney, MO a few weeks ago with our friends Phyllis and Marshall who were visiting us from CA. My husband and I were waiting at the counter as they were checking out different things in the gift shop when I looked down and saw some post cards they were selling. One especially caught my eye. It showed a picture of an old lady and an iron skillet with something in it. The title said, "Zerelda's Blackberry Cobbler". I almost screamed with excitement. The picture was one of Jesse and Frank James and the card contained the recipe for (supposedly) their mother's blackberry cobbler. We bought the card and I told the ladies in the shop I would be making it and sharing it on my blog.

I have made the recipe twice. The first time I used stevia for the sugar (over the berries) and it was just not sweet enough. Ice cream helped, but it was still not very tasty. I told my husband that since blackberries are not very sweet, I would probably have to bite the bullet and use real sugar when I made anything with them. Well, that's what I did the second time. I expected the sugar to produce more juice but their was enough sugar that the cobbler was good. Really good. The recipe said to serve with fresh cream. I used the only cream I had...ice cream. Yummy!!!!!



ZERELDA'S BLACKBERRY COBBLER

1         cup flour
2        teaspoons baking powder
1/2     teaspoon salt
1         cup milk (I used skim milk)
1/2     cup butter or lard (I used 1 stick of butter)
2-1/2 cups blackberries
1         cup sugar
fresh cream or ice cream


Mix blackberries and sugar and
let stand 30 minutes.


Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and
milk in an ungreased 8 - inch cast iron skillet.


Melt butter and add it to the flour mixture in the skillet.
Stir till blended.


Spoon blackberries over batter.


Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 45 to 55 minutes or until dough rises and is golden.


Serve with fresh cream. (I added vanilla bean ice cream.)

(The recipe lists mixing the blackberries and sugar and let stand for 30 minutes after it has you mix the "batter". I didn't think they meant for you to let the "batter" sit for 30 minutes and so I made it the way I have written above.)

Here is a picture of the postcard so you can see a picture of their mother in her later years. If you ever find yourself in the area, I would recommend you stop by the Jesse James Farm.



No comments:

Post a Comment