Thursday, August 24, 2017

RANCH HAM 'N' CHEESE PASTA

I'm a little late sharing the latest casserole I made for us for dinner. It was lower in calories and fat but that didn't keep it from being delicious. 

I used some gluten-free penne I bought at Aldi that is made from organic brown rice and quinoa. I wasn't sure how it would taste, but my husband, who always seems willing to try just about anything, told me to buy it and we could try it at least once. Well, the last time we went back to Aldi, I bought another 16-oz bag of it. It cooked up really nicely - and it warmed up well also. 

Be prepared - it does make a lot (you use the whole 16-oz bag of pasta). Looking at the recipe, you could easily cut the recipe in half if you don't want lots of leftovers. (I might try that the next time I make it. My husband thinks it would taste good using chicken instead of the ham. I think he is right.


RANCH HAM 'N' CHEESE PASTA

1        package (16-ounces) penne pasta
1        tablespoon butter
1        cup fat-free milk
2       teaspoons dried parsley flakes
1        teaspoon garlic salt
1        teaspoon salt-free lemon-pepper seasoning
1/2    teaspoon garlic powder
1/2    teaspoon dried minced onion
1/2    teaspoon dill weed
1/4    teaspoon onion powder
1/8    teaspoon pepper
1        cup (8-ounces) reduced fat sour cream
2       cups cubed fully cooked lean ham
1-1/2 cups (6-ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
1/4    cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Cook pasta according to directions on package, drain.

In a Dutch oven, melt the butter;
whisk in the flour until smooth.
Gradually add milk and seasonings.
Bring to a boil,
cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Reduce heat; fold in sour cream until blended.
Add ham and
pasta, cook and
stir until heated through.
Remove from the heat; stir in Mexican cheese
blend until melted.
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese when ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment