Wednesday, August 30, 2017

GRANDMA'S CHICKEN CASSEROLE

When I saw this recipe, I wasn't completely sure about it. So I decided to read the comments - there were quite a few and they helped me decide I should definitely make it. I was convinced to just serve vegetables on the side and not mix anything in the dish. I also read that the recipe called for too many crumbs. (I did go on and make the amount in the recipe and found out they were right...I had a probably 1/2 cup I didn't use - see the picture below. Then when we ate the dish, I realized I had more than I wanted in a bite.) Several said it was a good southern recipe. That's all I needed to hear/read. 

I am so glad I did make it. I love the combined tastes of the chicken, the cream of chicken soup, the cheese, and yes, even the bread crumbs - just not so much.


GRANDMA'S CHICKEN CASSEROLE

1-1/2    cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
1           can (10.75 oz) cream of chicken soup
1           cup (8 ounces) grated cheddar cheese
1           cup bread/cracker crumbs
3          tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Place chicken in the bottom of a 1-quart casserole dish.

Spoon soup evenly over the chicken.

Top with the grated cheese.

In a bowl, stir together the melted butter and the breadcrumbs.


Sprinkle over the baking dish.
(I used 1-1/2 cups of crumbs and that was too many so your dish won't look this full.)
(Before I put the dish in the oven, I sprayed the crumbs with non-stick cooking spray.)


Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until bubbly.

Serves 5 - 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment