Thursday, August 31, 2017

FIVE CUP SALAD

Many people know this Five Cup Salad as ambrosia. I grew up eating ambrosia that my mother made and loved it. I have several different recipes for it already on this blog. When I was making dinner for Friends Gary and Margaret recently after his surgery, I decided to make this recipe I found in my Square Meals cookbook. They loved it and asked for my recipe. 

The recipe is called Five Cup Salad because you use a cup each of five ingredients. My version should be called Four and Three-Fourths Cup Salad as I only used three-fourths of a cup of the sour cream. I added the sour cream a fourth of a cup at a time and after three-fourths cups, I was happy with the consistency of it. I also used fruit in 100% juice.



FIVE CUP SALAD

1       cup shredded coconut (I used organic unsweetened coconut)
1       cup mandarin oranges, drained (11-oz can)
1       cup crushed pineapple, drained (about 2/3 of a 20-ounce can)
1       cup sour cream (I only use 3/4 cup fat-free sour cream)
1       cup miniature white marshmallows 


Toss the coconut, oranges, pineapple, and marshmallows together in a large mixing bowl.



Add sour cream. I recommend adding it 1/4 cup at a time to desired consistency.


 I think it is best if you do it ahead of time and refrigerate it for a couple of hours before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment