Friday, August 11, 2017

HIGH OCTANE PANCAKES

Our August has been crazy weather. The temperatures feel like fall is here. I heard that it was going to warm up some by the end of the month, but not sure. One week the weather people are saying don't get out your winter clothes any time soon; it's going to be warm through November and then the next week, they are saying August is going to feel like fall. So I just take it one day at a time.

So far this month though it has felt like an early fall. (except maybe for the mosquitoes and noseeums) That means when I haven't planned anything for dinner, I start considering make pancakes or waffles. 

I had two recipes for pancakes in the Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook - High Octane Pancakes and Silver Dollar Oat Pancakes. I was missing some of the ingredients for the latter so I decided to make the High Octane Pancakes. Kelly Hanion of Strassburg, CO makes them to jump-start her morning and keep her fueled up all day long. I made them for dinner.


HIGH OCTANE PANCAKES

1/3       cup + 1 tablespoon flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
1/4       cup quick-cooking oats
3          tablespoons wheat germ
2          teaspoons sugar
1-1/4    teaspoons baking powder
1/8       teaspoon salt
2/3      cup fat-free milk
1/4       cup fat-free plain yogurt
1           tablespoon canola oil

In a small bowl, combine the flour, oats, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder, and salt.

In another small bowl, combine the milk, yogurt, and oil.

Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients

just until moistened.

(I let mine rest a few minutes so that some of the liquid can be soaked up.)

Pour batter by 1/3 cupfuls onto a hot nonstick griddle coated with cooking spray.

Turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes (or when they have cooked halfway to center and bottom is brown when you lift up the edges.)

Cook until second side is golden brown.





Makes 5 to 6 pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment