Monday, February 6, 2017

STRAWBERRY PRETZEL DESSERT


It has been many years since I first enjoyed this dessert. I remember that my sister-cousin Marie made it and brought it to my mother's when the family was all getting together. I fell in love with the sweet/salty combination. I actually made it a couple of times, but that was a long time ago.

Thursday, our quilters' canasta group met at Friend Ellen's house. I missed because I was enjoying the sun and warmer temperatures in Florida. Imagine my surprise when I got an email from Ellen telling me about the afternoon game and that I was missed AND also pictures along with the recipe of this Strawberry Pretzel Dessert that she made and served. 

Seeing her pictures brought back memories of that first time when Marie made it for our families. I remember thinking  -  I would never have thought about using pretzels in the crust. It's funny now when I think about it. I have even made chocolate chip cookies that had crushed pretzels in them and they were so good. You can check that recipe out HERE.

The recipe for this dessert is so old, container sizes have changed. I have reflected those changes in the recipe. Some people consider this a dessert, but you could also use it as a salad. When I was growing up, Mother often made congealed salads that we loved.



STRAWBERRY PRETZEL DESSERT

3       tablespoons sugar
2       cups crushed pretzels (do not crush too fine)
3/4    cup melted butter

Mix the above ingredients together and pat into a 9 x 13 - inch pan. Bake for 15 minutes in 350 degrees F oven. Cool.

2       cups powdered sugar
1        8 - ounce package cream cheese
1        8 - ounce carton whipped topping
2       cups miniature marshmallows

Mix the powdered sugar and cream cheese. Fold in the whipped topping and marshmallows. Spread over the cooled pretzel crust. Chill.

2       3 - ounce packages of strawberry gelatin (Ellen used sugar-free strawberry gelatin)
2-1/2 cups boiling water
1/4    teaspoon strawberry flavoring (Ellen omitted)
1        15 - ounce package frozen strawberries

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Add flavoring and frozen strawberries. Chill until partially set. Pour over cream cheese layer and refrigerate until firm.


Thanks, Ellen, for thinking of me and sharing your dessert with me so that I could share it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment