Friday, February 3, 2017

ROASTED LOIN OF PORK

I am so impressed with Friend Ellen. I asked her to take pictures of a casserole she was going to cook for dinner so I could share it here with you. (I will be sharing it next week.) She sent me the pictures the next day and sent me another email telling me she was roasting a pork loin and had taken pictures that I could share if I wanted to. If I wanted to? If I wanted to? Seriously? Of course I will share them. I am always telling my friends when they tell me things they are making/baking to take pictures, send them to me, and I will share them. Finally, someone is taking the initiative. And I love her pictures!

Ellen writes:  I buy a whole Cry-o-vac wrapped pork loin. It is usually 7 to 8 lbs. I ask the butcher to cut about 1/3 of it off for a roast and then cut the rest into Iowa chops. He calls them American Chops. Whatever you call them, they are thick chops about 1-1/4 inches thick. I have the butcher package them 2 in a package and then I freeze them.

I spray a 9 x 13 - inch pan and a roasting rack with non-stick cooking spray. I place the roast on the rack with the fatty side up. After combining and applying the rub, I cover it with foil and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. (The recipe says to let it stand for at least 2 hrs. I'm not sure if it's okay outside the refrigerator so I refrigerate it.)

Remove the foil and roast it uncovered at 450 degrees F for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees F and roast 2 hours more or until meat thermometer registers 185 degrees. (Ellen adds, "I think the guidelines have been changed to maybe 165 degrees F now. I cooked mine to 178 degrees F and it was a little dry.)



ROASTED LOIN OF PORK


1       boned & rolled 5 lb loin of pork
1       crushed clove of garlic
2      tablespoons coarse salt
1/2   teaspoon each thyme and pepper

Spray a 9 x 13 - inch pan with roasting rack with non-stick cooking spray. 

In a small bowl, mix the garlic, salt, thyme, and pepper.

Place roast on rack with the fatty side up and apply rub on roast. Cover with foil and place in refrigerator for two hours.



Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. 

Bake for 30 minutes and then reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F and roast 2 hours more or until meat thermometer registers 165 degrees F.



Slice to serve.



Thanks, Ellen, for sharing your pictures and recipe with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment