Wednesday, February 22, 2017

CARAMEL GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE DESSERT

The only thing bad about this cake is that most of the downstairs volunteers at Hillcrest Thrift Shop didn't get to eat any of it. That is the first time that has ever happened. Volunteer Ashley said it was Volunteer Terry's fault. Terry usually volunteers on Monday but came yesterday because the shop was closed on Monday for Presidents' Day. He ate a piece and told so many about it, some of the volunteers from upstairs came down to get some. 

I was really disappointed when the ladies told me it was all gone by the time they went into the community room at noon to eat lunch. They really missed a "good one". I will try to make sure that doesn't happen again. (Although it will be hard since I am stuck at the register ringing up the purchases of the customers.)

I found the recipe on a piece of paper Monday when I thought I would straighten up my secretary. Don't know if someone gave me the recipe or how I got it. It is definitely a "keeper" though.

Last year I bought a couple of bags of caramel bits and thought I would give them a try. Unwrapping a whole bag of caramels takes forever! Anyway, I have not seen them again in the store. I researched them and saw that Kraft introduced them in 2007. I don't know if they weren't popular or what. They surely should have been. If you can't find them, just use an 11-ounce bag of caramels but allow time to unwrap all of the individual caramels or ask for help.



CARAMEL GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE DESSERT

1       German chocolate cake mix + ingredients to mix according to the box
1       11-oz package of caramels (I used a bag of caramel bits)
1       stick of butter
1       tablespoon milk
3/4   cup chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate chips)
1       cup nuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Mix up cake mix according to directions on the box.

Pour half of the batter into pan and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until done.
Check doneness with a toothpick.

Meanwhile, melt caramels, butter and milk.
(I did this in a saucepan over medium low heat. Next time I think I will do it in the microwave in 30 second intervals.)

Pour melted caramel mixture over the baked cake making sure you cover entire surface. (Move pan with mixture over the area because the mixture doesn't spread easily once it is on the cake.)

Sprinkle chips and
nuts over caramel mixture.

Pour rest of cake batter over all covering the area completely.

Return to oven and bake 20 to 25 minutes longer or until done.

Cool in pan on wire rack.

Serve with whipped topping.



Can you see that delicious caramel in the middle of the cake?

No comments:

Post a Comment