Tuesday, February 21, 2017

CHICKEN NUGGETS

Yesterday was the first morning in probably a week that there was no sun shining in the window to wake me up. (It did try to peak its head out around noon but there were just too many clouds. So it didn't last long.) We really need some rain. Our winter has been a really mild one. I think it has snowed twice but accumulation wasn't even a total of 5 inches. Unfortunately we didn't get that much rain either. My husband and I took a walk around the block about mid-afternoon and the ground wasn't even wet around the trees. 

For many, yesterday was a holiday and I am happy for them. I haven't been retired that many years that I don't remember how nice it was to have a 4-day work week. I do like to keep a busy social life but most Mondays are work-around-the-house days for me. 

Yesterday was a good productive day for me. I recently decided I was going to go through my "stash" of fabric and donate much of it. Most of my sewing now days is quilt making and so much of my material I have had for years dating back to when I made clothes for myself and my older granddaughters. While I probably wouldn't be making any quilts from the material, Blankets of Hope could. (Blankets of Hope is all that remains from the United Methodist Women at my church.) We currently have four members - Friend Janice, Friend Fran, and Friend Teresa, and myself who meet once a month at the church and make mainly lap throws for members of the church and elsewhere who need a little hope. We have made quilts big enough for beds and gave 25 one year to Kairos Outside, a special weekend retreat designed to support the female loved ones of men and women who are or have been in prison. Last year the Hospice program at North Kansas City Hospital took almost 20 for their program. We make some amazing quilts with just fabric that has been donated to us. So guess who is getting six cloth grocery bags full of material. Fran came over and helped me. Even though I was in a purging mood, it was good to have a friend encouraging me on. I also moved a few things out of my sewing room and put them in the attic. 

After lunch, I looked through a few recipes and found a good sounding one to make for the Hillcrest Thrift Shop volunteers later in the afternoon. (I will also be taking a bag to the thrift shop - material that isn't cotton suitable for a quilt.) I hope to share the Caramel German Chocolate Cake with you tomorrow.

After taking a walk around the neighborhood, I sat down to rest a bit and then it was time to start thinking about dinner. (I really didn't have to think because I had already decided earlier to make Chicken Nuggets by a recipe I found the other day and had gotten the chicken breast out of the freezer to thaw.)

My husband walked in the kitchen while they were baking in the oven and asked what smelled so good. They were really easy and fast. They only have to cook 10 minutes and they were very good. (I think my grandchildren would like them - they eat chicken nuggets all the time.)



CHICKEN NUGGETS

1-1/2        cups crushed cornflakes
1               teaspoon paprika
1/2           teaspoon garlic powder
1/2           teaspoon dried oregano, ground
1               egg white
1               lb skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. 

Crush cornflakes in a ziplock bag. Add paprika, garlic powder, and oregano and mix together.

Dip the chicken pieces in the egg white allowing excess to drip off.

Drop a few pieces at a time in the bag and shake to coat the chicken.
Coat well.

Place chicken pieces in a single layer on a shallow baking pan.
Bake for 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.  

No comments:

Post a Comment