Wednesday, December 7, 2016

NUTTY CHOCOLATE PIE

Did I mention earlier this week that the annual Ladies Christmas Tea was happening at our church this week. My friend Janice and I have "hosted" a table for the last several years. It is such a fun evening and the perfect "kick-off" for the holiday season with desserts, singing, and always a moving, inspirational speech. When we first starting hosting, we had a variety of desserts. Then two years ago, we moved to a larger location and the dessert was provided. This year we moved back to our church with the opening of our new worship center that will seat 750. We didn't have too much trouble getting tables set up for almost 500 ladies.

At first Janice suggested a red velvet cake recipe she had, but then decided she wanted something else. Believe it or not, we even considered "buying" cheesecake but I just felt like that would unexceptable with my friends who would be sitting at the table. They all know how much I bake. 

Since I have been craving chocolate pecan pie ever since I made the pecan pie for our Thanksgiving dinner with our younger son and his family, I decided this weekend that that was what I was going to bake. I looked at several different recipes since I couldn't find the one that I used several years ago. 

It is surprising how many different chocolate pecan recipes there are. Since a number of them were different recipes for pecan pies with just the addition of chocolate chips, I considered making my mother's recipe for her No Fail Pecan Pie (the best pecan recipe I have ever eaten) and just add some chocolate chips. Instead though I decided to go by a recipe I had in my recipe box that I first baked in February 1986. (I wonder if this is the recipe I remember from a long time ago. I didn't remember the chips not melting a little but maybe they did back then, but didn't this time because I used the dark chocolate chips - 60% cacao chips. They keep their shape when baked.

This was a recipe from Nestle-Toll House. It is different from another recipe I found in one of my Brand Name cookbooks for a Toll House chocolate pecan pie though.

Well, everyone loved it at the tea even though the chips had not melted. I felt that because the pie is so sweet, that the dark chocolate chips would tone it down a little. The only problem I had was I cut the pies into servings for 6 and I ate the whole piece. (I never eat such a big piece of pecan pie.)



NUTTY CHOCOLATE PIE

3       eggs
1        cup light corn syrup
1/2    cup sugar
2       tablespoons butter, melted
1        teaspoon vanilla
1        cup coarsely chopped pecans
6       oz (1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips (I did use the dark chocolate chips)
1        unbaked 9 - inch pie shell

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


In a large bowl, beat eggs until well combined.
Add syrup, nuts, chips, sugar,. butter, and vanilla;
mix until well blended.
Pour evenly into pie shell.



Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. (Filling should be slightly less set in center than around the edges. I took mine out of the oven at 50 minutes.)

Cool completely.

Here is a picture of the ladies at our table last night 



and here is one more of my two friends (that I talk about a lot here on this blog) .... Fran, Janice, and me



and here is a picture of our table....



No comments:

Post a Comment