Tuesday, December 20, 2016

CROCHET CANDY CANE STOCKING

When I decorated our Christmas tree the other day, I didn't have any small candy canes to place in each of the crochet candy cane stockings that my mother made years ago. They are so cute and different. 

I have never seen a pattern for these but it was fairly easy for me to figure out a pattern just by looking at the ones Mother had made. I used to have some variegated yarn that was red and green that I wanted to use but I couldn't find it. I think it would make cute ones. Instead I just decided to use some red, green, and white yarns like two of the ones Mother had made. She made one just from green yarn and bound it in red. 

At first I thought it was just a granny square but when I finished making the square, it didn't look right when I folded it in half. Then I noticed my mistake. Redoing the round with the white yarn, it worked perfectly. I am so excited! I think I will make one for each of my grandchildren. Hopefully they will keep them and just add another candy cane next year. They can hang it on the tree and then enjoy the candy cane on Christmas.



Instructions for the Candy Cane Stocking

With color 1

Make a slip knot . Chain (ch) 4.

Create a ring - (insert hook in first chain closest to slip knot and pull the yarn through making a slip stitch (sl st)

Round 1: Ch 3 (counts as the first dc), 2 dc in ring, ch 2, 3 dc in ring, ch 2, 3 dc in ring, ch 2, 3 dc in ring, ch 2. You should have 4 sets of 3 dc clusters.

Join to first set by inserting needle in top chain of the ch 3 and sl st forming first round. Cut the yarn leaving a couple of inches and then pull through stitch and tighten to a knot.


Round 2: With color 2, you can start the second round in any of the ch 2 spaces from the first round. Insert needle in space and bring color 2 yarn and make a sl st. (This stitch counts as your first ch in the ch 3)

(Make a corner) Ch 3 (counts as the first dc), 2 dc in ring, chain 2, 3 dc in same space (You will need to slide the dcs over to make room for all 6 dc in each space), Ch 2 and continue in each Ch 2 spaces from the first round with 3 dc, Ch 2, 3 dc making the corners. When you have 8 sets or 4 corners made, join together with a sl st in top chain of the Ch 3. Cut yarn leaving several inches.



Round 3: With color 3:

You can begin round 3 in any of the ch 2  spaces. (I started in the "side" left of the side you ended round 2 in the picture below. You can also start in the corner just left of where you tied off round 2.) As with Round 2, you will connect Color 3 and ch 3, 2 dc to form first set. (This forms the "side" for Round 3 in this example.) ch 2 and then make a corner with 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc.,  ch 2, 3 dc, ch 2. In the ch 2 space that you ended with in round 2, make 11 dc. (You will need to slide the dc to make room for all 11.) ch 2, 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch 2 space to form another corner and then ch 2. (You should now be on the opposite side from the side you began this round.) 3 dc in this Ch 2 space from Round 2. (Picture below.





Ch 2 and then form the next corner. (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) ( Remember you always have a Ch 2 between each set of 3 dc.) ch 2. You should be back where you started this round. sl st to join the first ch 3, tie off and cut yarn leaving a couple of inches tail.



(Round 1 has 4 sets of 3 dc, Round 2 has 8 sets.)

If you are changing colors with each round, you can catch the end when you make the 3 dc or work the tail in later. The picture of the back side shows how I "caught" the end/tail each time. Then just cut off the extra yarn.



 You are now ready to fold the piece in half with the 11 dc on the bottom to form the "toe" of the boot. Match all of the stitches together.



Using color 1 you will "sew" the sides and bottom together leaving the top side open. When you fold the piece in half you should have 5 dc on each side forming the toe with 1 dc forming the end. 



I came in from the inside on the left side of that middle stitch and then came back around the other side of it. (In my picture the end of the hook looks like it is further down, but you want to match up the stitches on each side as you work your way around.)





When you get around to the top of the stocking, ch 8



You can bring the hook back down into the last worked stitch and sc it to connect. 



Tie it off, cut a tail, and weave it into the edging. Cut off excess.



I ended up making 6 for my 6 grandchildren and added the candy cane.



Here is one of the stockings my mother made that I have hanging on my Christmas tree.



I found the candy canes at a Dollar Tree store. The package of 12 looks like the package you can buy in other stores. The great thing about theirs is they are slightly shorter making them the perfect size for the stocking.

You can also use the stocking to leave $$ for your special ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment