Monday, December 26, 2016

CRANBERRY ORANGE BREAD

This is such a good bread to make and give as gifts. The recipe will make one large loaf or two mini loaves. I mentioned to my friend Janice that I was making them and her comment was, "You can't go wrong with cranberries and orange."  You know -- she is right.

I found the recipe in a 1972 The ideals Family Cookbook.


CRANBERRY ORANGE BREAD

2       cups flour
1        cup sugar (I did use 1/2 cup of stevia/sugar blend)
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2    teaspoon salt
1        egg, beaten
2       tablespoons shortening
1        teaspoon grated orange rind (I always use McCormack's Valencia Orange Peel)
3/4   cup orange juice
1        cup fresh cranberries, cut in halves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray a large loaf pan or 2 mini loaf pans.

Measure the flour and blend with the sugar, baking powder, and salt using a whisk.

Mix in the shortening using your fingers or pastry cutter.

Add egg, orange juice, and peel. Stir til all ingredients are wet.

Fold in cranberries.

If using the two mini loaves, divide the batter evenly between the two pans.

Bake one hour for the single loaf or 45 minutes for mini loaves. Check doneness with a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf.

Cool on wire rack about 10 minutes. Remove from pan and continue cooling. Wrap in foil to keep moist.


I made two loaves in a decorated mini loaf pan and gave as presents in the pan. AND I made two loaves to keep for ourselves. A slice is perfect with my yogurt in the morning for breakfast.


No comments:

Post a Comment