Monday, December 5, 2016

MIRIAM GOOD'S GERMAN CHOCOLATE PIE

December is here already. Christmas will be here probably before I am ready. I have already done some of my Christmas shopping so it probably isn't as bad as I may think. Last year I think I ordered almost everything from online. This year I have actually gone to some stores and purchased some things. I missed it last year. I love going to the stores and singing along to the Christmas music being played. Not sure the other shoppers enjoy hearing my contribution, but I surely do enjoy it. 

One thing that will probably be the same again this year is I will have recipes that I wanted to make that I won't find the time to make. Why do we have to have recipes that we only think of making during the month of December? Don't be surprised if you see some of those treats after Christmas.

This German Chocolate Pie is not a recipe that you would feel like you could only make it during December. I wanted to make something sweet for us and was craving chocolate. Later today I will be making two chocolate pecan pies for the Women's Christmas Tea at church Tuesday night. Ever since I made the pecan pie for our Thanksgiving dinner with our younger son and his family, I have wanted to make (and eat) a chocolate pecan pie. I hope the other ladies at our table also is craving chocolate pecan pie also.

But for now, let's talk about Miriam's German Chocolate Pie. This recipe came out of Phyllis Pellman Good and Kate Good's Mennonite Recipes from the Shenandoah Valley cookbook. I had checked it several months ago but just never got around to trying it. Yesterday (actually Saturday night) I decided it was time. As I usually do (especially if it is something I'm not really sharing with others), I tried to reduce the sugar calories as much as I could - without ruining the taste of the treat. First I used my sugar/stevia blend which meant I only needed to use a half cup instead of a full cup of sugar. I also used organic unsweetened coconut for the coconut. 




GERMAN CHOCOLATE PIE

1      cup sugar (or 1/2 cup sugar/stevia blend)
2     tablespoons flour
1      tablespoon cornstarch
3     tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4  teaspoon salt
2     eggs, slightly beaten
2/3 cup milk
1      tablespoon vanilla
3     tablespoons butter, melted
2/3 cup coconut (unsweetened coconut works)
1/3  cup chopped pecans
1      9 - inch unbaked pie crust

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


In a bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder, and salt.


In another bowl, beat eggs slightly. Then add milk, vanilla, and butter. 


Add wet mixture to dry mixture. Mix well.


Add coconut.


Pour into pie shell.


Sprinkle nuts on top.


Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. (In my new gas oven I am finding myself cooking the full length of baking time.)


Cool on wire rack.

Serve.








No comments:

Post a Comment