Wednesday, May 4, 2016

PINEAPPLE-COCONUT DROPS

The Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip Cookies were such a big hit that I made recently, I was fairly confident that the Pineapple-Coconut Drops using the same basic drop cookie recipe would also be a big hit. Well, I was correct.

I made the latter to share at Hillcrest Thrift Shop when I went in for the mid-shift on Saturday. They made up very quickly so I was able to make them before I went in. That way they were freshly baked. My shift was only 2-1/2 hours and I think they were all gone before the shift was half over. 

They were so good that after I got home I decided to make another batch and take them to a dance my husband and I were going to that night. For the last six weeks we have been taking basic ballroom dancing. We are not Fred and Ginger yet, but we had fun and did learn a lot. The dance Saturday night was our celebration "for a job well done", I guess you could say. The cookies were a big hit there also.

Once again the recipe calls for a basic drop cookie recipe and then add some particulars to make a specialty cookie. The recipe is in Better Homes and Gardens' Treasury of Baking Recipes cookbook I got at an estate sale. (The ingredients in parenthesis will reduce the calories but not the taste.)


PINEAPPLE-COCONUT DROPS

1/2       cup granulated sugar (1/4 cup sugar/stevia blend)
1/4       cup packed brown sugar (2 tablespoons brown sugar/stevia blend)
1/4       cup butter
1/4       cup shortening
1           egg
1           teaspoon vanilla
1-1/4    cup all-purpose flour
3/4      teaspoon salt
1/2       teaspoon baking soda
1           cup flaked coconut (unsweetened coconut works)
1/2       cup chopped walnuts
1/2       cup crushed pineapple, well drained

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Greased cookie sheets or line with parchment paper (my preference)


In a mixer bowl, cream together sugars, butter, shortening, egg, and vanilla till light and fluffy. (about 3 minutes on medium speed)


Stir together flour, salt, and baking soda and add to creamed mixture. 


Stir in coconut, nuts, and pineapple.


Drop using a cookie scoop that holds 1 tablespoon of water and space about 2 inches apart. (I bake only 12 cookies at a time.)


Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. (Using the parchment paper, I bake them 10 minutes.)


Let stand for 30 seconds before removing them to cool on a rack.





Makes about 3 - 3-1/2 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment