Tuesday, May 3, 2016

PAIGE'S ASTOUNDING BANANA BREAD

"There is not one unusual or special ingredient in this banana bread, but it is, hands down, the absolute best." So says Sally Sampson in her The Bake Sale Cookbook * Quintessential American Desserts. 

I have made so many banana bread recipes -- some really good and some okay. As Sally says, this recipe looks a lot like other banana bread recipes and this one is definitely in the really good department. 

I reduced the amount of sugar a little and used regular salt as I didn't have the kosher salt. My husband loves it!



PAIGE'S ASTOUNDING BANANA BREAD

3 or 4 overripe bananas (the nastier the better) (I used 3 medium size bananas that were ripe but not overripe
1         cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup of sugar/stevia blend)
1         stick unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
2        eggs, at room temperature
1         teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2  cup all-purpose flour
1/2     teaspoon kosher salt
1-1/2  teaspoons baking soda
1/2     cup chopped toasted walnuts (optional) (I used walnuts but didn't toast them.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9 x 5 - inch loaf pan. (I used my 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 - inch loaf pan.)


Place the bananas and sugar in the bowl of a mixer and
"whip the bejesus out of them," about 2 or 3 minutes.


Add the butter, eggs, and vanilla, whipping well and scraping down the sides of the bowl before each addition. (I misread and added them at the same time.)


Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the flour, salt, baking soda, and nuts, if using, and mix ito combine.


Pour into pan and bake for about 1 hour (until golden brown and firm in the center). (I also tested mine with a toothpick inserted in the center. It did get golden brown but my husband said that was the way he liked it.)

Cool about 10 minutes before removing from pan. Great served warm. Wrap in foil to keep moist.

No comments:

Post a Comment