Tuesday, May 24, 2016

JAM'N' OATMEAL COOKIES

Some (especially my sons) might be "turned off" by the name of Sandra Woodruff, RD's cookbook FAT-FREE BAKING - Scrumptious cakes, cookies, brownies, pies, muffins, breads, & other goodies thinking there won't be anything really good tasting in it. The recipes are low in calorie and many use whole wheat flour, etc. 

BUT I found one that is so delicious! The recipe calls for jam or fruit spread. I couldn't resist using some of my homemade strawberry jam. What a delight! Even my sons wouldn't be able to tell they were low calorie and almost fat free if I didn't tell them.



JAM'N' OATMEAL COOKIES

1-1/2      cups whole wheat flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
2            cups quick-cooking oats
3/4        cup light brown sugar (I used 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons truvia brown sugar blend.)
1-1/4      teaspoons baking soda
1/2         teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4        cup jam or fruit spread (try apricot, peach, pineapple, raspberry, or strawberry) (I used my homemade strawberry jam)
1/4         cup water
1             teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4        cup dark raisins, chopped dried fruit, or chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.


Combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, and cinnamon and stir to mix well.


Add the ham or fruit spread, water, and vanilla, and stir well to mix well.

Stir in the fruit or nuts.


Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or spray with a nonstick cooking spray. (I also seem to like the end result when I use parchment paper.) Using a cookie scoop (that holds 1 tablespoon of water), drop cookie dough about 1-1/2 inches apart. Slightly flatten each cookie.


Bake for about 18 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool cookies on sheet for 1 minute.
Remove and finish cooling on wire racks.






Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container and arrange in single layers separated by sheets of waxed paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment